Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Exterior Mirror

Hello,

Im looking for some help with finding the correct side mirror for my 69 coupe. I have tried two variations form CJ and both have not fit. I dont know if the PO tried to fabricate something different or im just overlooking something. I know i can make one or the other fit but im not trying to get into body work. Attached is a link to both mirrors i have tried as well as the hole placement for my car. I would appreciate it if you could attach a link to the mirror you believe to be correct. BTW There is no interior remote to speak of. Thanks for your help.

The first is far too long and the second is a bit short

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=ME2S

http://www.cjponyparts.com/standard-outside-mirror-left-1969-1970/p/ME14S/

ME14S should be the correct style mirror according to them but it looks like your car is missing a mounting nut (that second large mangled hole on the left). By looking at your picture someone must have mounted an oddball aftermarket mirror at one time by using that little first hole to the left and so they probably forced a sheet metal screw into the one mounting nut you do have on the right ruining the threads inside. If you still have the ME14S mirror the holes for it should line up with the two large ones and you just need to order a HW390 Mounting nut set from them also. My guess though is that this leaves that little hole exposed and that is what is part of you dilema.

I ordered that mounting hardware from CJ's and (as you can see in their picture) they are plastic press-in inserts. I didn't like the feel of them so I used real aluminum rivnuts instead. You can get a cheap rivnut tool and a box of rivnuts from Harbor Freight for about $20. The plastic ones may hold up just fine, but I didn't trust them. Just my 2cents

I noticed that too but since he was already ordering from CJ I figured I'd list them. I had gotten mine from Virginia Classic and they were the standard metal ones (same price too). I don't know how good the plastic is, you imply it was pretty cheap Raven? I actually liked how they seemed to be expandable and thought it might hold better but it would only be as strong as the plastci obviously.

I don't know if cheap is the right word, just plastic. They probably work fine, especially in a fair-weather only car. I've still got them, brand new, if you want them Hawkdriver, PM me your address and I will send them to you free.