Sign in to follow this  
flight96

Wheels and Tire Questions....

So Im going to be putting new wheels and tires on this winter. I was hoping to go with 17" wheels. My front end is sitting VERY low right now, but it only has 14's on it. Will the 17's raise the front end very much ? Also will 17's rub on the fenders when turning ?

Also, I will need new rotors right, what size would you recommend. The fronts are disc and the rears are drum...

Thanks

Ken

Hey, newbe here (just joined) but think I might be able to help. You need to look at the tire size and compare those rather than "just" the wheel size. For example, my coupe had 15" wheels stock. I put 17x8 rims with 245/40s on the front (17x9 and 275s out back)...just so happens that those tires are the same height (albeit wider) as the tires I took off. There are a lot of issues to look at here...backspacing, offset, etc. Check out dodgestang's website for fitment guides:

http://www.dodgestang.com/

As far as rotors, I used Vintage Venom's Cobra kit and am running 13" rotors with Cobra calipers on the front and 11.65" with Cobra calipers on the back. Options are endless and only depends on how much you want to spend.

~Jeffrey

That pretty much sums it up, welcome BTW Horizon.

Figure out what width 17's you want first then that will tell you what backspace you will need and then you can figure out how wide a tire you want and what aspect ratio to get. You really want to stick with the same overall general diameter as stock so no that would not rasie your front end any. Don't think of larger rims in that way, the idea is really to be exchanging some sidewall for more rim, not adding to the overall size. The only real benefit on the fronts is that when you up to 17" they can clear the control arm so you can tuck them in further and thus go a little wider without having them stick out the sides past the fender, that and of course larger diameter discs but you don't need to do that, you can keep your current ones.

FWIW my set up is/will be simillar, I'll be using 17x8 up front with a 4.5 BS and a 245/40-17 tire and 17x9.5 out back with 6 BS and 275/45-17 tires. Overall diameter of both is very close to a stock and should have no rub issues. I also have a Mustang Steve 13" Cobra disc setup going on the front and keeping the drums out back for now. Because I chose the brakes first I had to go to a 17" rim but that is a one way street.

Well, for a 7" wide wheel the ideal BS I think is like 4", because it is narrow though you can afford to either tuck it in or stick out a little more, the question will then be how does it look instead of fit. Do you know what the backspace is? I can only guess maybe something like 3.25, I know alot of folks buy 1" spacers for these modern style rims. If you post a picture of your car at an angle that is pretty close to one of those pics I can chop it up for you, I could make the second pic work on a profile shot for example which I think I have seen you post before.

If you go with 2005 or newer wheel you need 1.25 in back and 1.5 in front spacers. And the 235-55-17's are going to rub like a mother in the front. My sig pic has 235-45's in front and and the 235-55's in rear. The front didnt clear the A arm with a 1.25 inch spacer so I had to go 1.5.

If you want more pics, pm me.

Here ya go Ken, these were quickies so the size is an estimate since I'm using your tires still and the angles on the mach rims are a little off but it gives you a pretty good idea none the less.

If you are considering the mach rim look I would seriously consider spending a little more and go with either the American racing or Newstalgia version instead of a new model version only because with either of those options you can order the exact backspace you want instead of using spacers and you will get more dish to the rim looking more old school in a larger size. I'm putting the AR's on my car in 17x8 and 17x9.5.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5482&stc=1&d=1254492328

attachment.php?attachmentid=5483&stc=1&d=1254492328