Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Searching this forum

Hey gents, I'm wondering if there are some secrets to effectively searching this forum. My experience has been that searching usually returns a huge list of matching threads and I wind up trolling through a whole bunch of information to finally get what's relevant.

This is great when I have the time (and I've learned a lot along the way), but when I don't have the time, I wind up posting a question that has probably been asked many times before.

So my question is: does the search feature support the "match all words" kind of thing? For example, if I searched on "radiator recommendation 351", I would hope to only get threads that have ALL of those words instead of *any* of those words.

I've tried the "advanced" search page and I haven't seen any dials that would let me refine my search of match on all words. Any advice on effective searching would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I find this forum to be the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind on my project. I'm grateful for the patient, informative responses to my often inane questions, but would like to be able to use the information that is clearly embedded in the archives here.

Thanks,

Tom

Well I am pretty sure if you put a + sign between your words that will make them have to all be in the same thread but I also find a key is being selective in the words you search for. Take your example radiator is certainly a key word here to use, next I would just say recommend or add an asterisk to cover all variations of the word, 351 is useless since I think 4 letters is the minimum amount you can search for. So I would be searching for radiator + recommend* to narrow the search as much as possible. I might also try just searching thread topics first before I did the whole thread as this would likely be in the title if someone asked it already.

This looks to me like a thread you would be interested in: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1413&highlight=radiator+recommend%2A

The real tough part these days is how people abreviate from texting habits or are just plain ole bad spellers.