Sign in to follow this  
flight96

Convertible Boot Moulding

Those are tough to find, they aren't reproduced. A set came up on eBay a month or two ago but they weren't any better than the ones i've got. I have eBay set up to email any "69 Mustang convertible" items that get listed, you might try that. The center section is stainless and will polish up with a little elbow grease but the hockey sticks have to be re-chromed. I got an estimate for mine 2 years ago for around US$300. I have to get it done, as I'm almost ready to install them. Price has probably gone up, everything else has...

Hunh, I have never seen those made available as repro before EVER!!!! For a $25 savings though probably better to get the originals refinished.

Something seems very wrong with yours though Flight. They are not supposed to have all those studs popping out of the surface.

I'm one of the few lucky ones who's originals are in great shape, very minor crazing and no pitting at all, hopefully they polish up well enough to still match the stainless center.

Yeah, it's first time I ever saw them, too - it looks like they're a brand new offering. I'm now debating the re-chrome vs buy 'em decision ... I agree about the studs, Flight, I just assumed that you had them laying upside down. Looking at the photo again it looks like maybe somebody modified them with studs, maybe for a custom boot cover ..

Something seems very wrong with yours though Flight. They are not supposed to have all those studs popping out of the surface.

Do you mean the 'snaps'? The boot I have snaps on to them. Is that not the right thing for the boot? I'll take a pic of the boot I have when I get home. Do you have a pic of the proper moulding ?

Also, I have 4 pieces of moulding. 2 along the trunk and 2 'hockey sticks'. Is this correct or has some PO done a 'modification' ???

Thanks !

Edited by flight96

If those are snaps poking up then yes, that's what I mean. If you look at the repros in Ravens link that is correct, smooth and polished. There are only 6 snaps for the boot, 3 on each side of the interior trim panel, that's it. The correct boot cover has a plastic flange that runs across the back side, you tuck it under the trim and then pull tight and snap it inside the car only. It's not a great design but that is how it is supposed to be, I guess just so it looks clean and finished when not being used. 4 pieces are correct, 2 stainless centers and 2 chromed pot metal outer hockey sticks.

Thanks for the info Pak....

I wander if there are different styles... I can't get to the Ebay link here at work, I'll look when I get home. However I have found many verts with the same mouldings as mine ???? (See Pic)

However I have found many verts with the same mouldings as mine ???? (See Pic)

Flight - As a fellow 'vert owner, I will add my input. Mine is just as Pak describes: no snaps, and my boot cover has plastic flanges that slide underneath the mouldings to hold the back down. Unlike Pak, mine are in rough shape, but I have so many other places that $300 needs to go first...:tongue:

Thanks for the info Pak....

I wander if there are different styles... I can't get to the Ebay link here at work, I'll look when I get home. However I have found many verts with the same mouldings as mine ???? (See Pic)

Hunh, these are the only two I have ever seen on a 69'. Now, I'm not that well versed on pre 69' cars but I am pretty sure I recall this design change taking place for the 68' year since it is a much cleaner look. Since the only readily available replacement prior to Raven's new find has been for the 65'-66' models it's possible that someone made them fit on an older resto done in the 80's or 90's. That or someone modded a set with the snap studs at somepoint for reasons unknown, I'm willing to bet it's not factory in any case though.

One way to know for sure, take a hockey stick off and look for the ford code underneath. A proper 69' part would read something like C9ZB-76423A18-A 10986 RH (passenger side) or C9ZB-76423A19-A 10987 LH (driver side)

My guess is yours start off with C5 C6 or C7.

It just so happens that I have them here at work. The hockey stick ones I have are stamped with... C9ZB-76423A19A FoMoCo(Logo) 10987 LH and C9ZB-76423A18A FoMoCo(Logo) 10986 RH.

Very Odd. And the boot I have fits them perfectly.....:confused:

I'm gonna take these to our plating shop here at work, maybe I can fenagle a deal with the boys in there to re-chrome them. If not I will change them and get a new boot....

Well, that only leaves my second guess then, that maybe they were added to the originals at some point to utilize an older boot. Does the boot have a date code on it? They do sell the snap sets for the earlier cars, maybe like many things 10 - 20 years ago they didn't make a 69' boot replacement so someone made do.

With less than 15,000 verts made in 69' I can't think of a reason for ford to make two versions at all, especially if our parts have the same casting number unless yours ended in A and mine ended in B instead. There were a handful of cars made with a manual top in 69' but that's no reason to change out the trim. Maybe this is a question for the editors at Mustang Monthly to solve.

Anyway as I see it this leaves you some issues still, sorry. If you change them and did buy the new repo hockey sticks you would still need to find the 2 stainless middle pieces, since these don't go bad I doubt they are repro'd but hey I'm surprised to see the hockey sticks now. You certainly won't find a 69' replacement boot in all snaps if you refinish these when the time comes, but at least you may be able to fit an earlier one.

Personally I would want the snaps gone and you could have the original hockey sticks filled in before rechroming but I don't know what can be done about the stainless.

Well I think for now I will get the ones I have re-chromed. I will then start looking for the proper ones. When I find them, I'll replace everything. I believe your right about having a hard time finding the stainless pieces. Just another hurdle to jump over.....good times !!! ;-)

There were a handful of cars made with a manual top in 69' but that's no reason to change out the trim. Maybe this is a question for the editors at Mustang Monthly to solve.

My car's got the manual top and my Dad had a manual top '69 back in the 70's and they both have/had the smooth trim. Unless it's a Canada-only thing (which would make it a very rare and desirable option) I can't think of a reason for the difference either.

On the positive side, if you can find a donor '69 or '70 vert, it's possible the stainless part is salvageable.

At future car shows, I know I am going to pay attention to the door glass and convertible molding for educational purposes :biggrin:

Speaking of Canada and Convertibles, didn't unfrozen1969 decide to part out his convertible? Might be a source for the stainless????

Flight, when you get a chance take a nice pic of the front and backside of a hockey stick for me, I don't want to let this enigma end so I'm going to send the question to MM.

Unfrozen's car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2047&d=1189893412

Great Idea about Bills parts, I'll PM him.

I didn't get pics of the 'Hockey sticks' last night. I was prepping and painting the side scoops and mirrors... I will get a pic today and post them.

Im interested to see what you find out with you investigation.

While I debated whether or not to buy the repro's, the seller on eBay sold out (5 sets). If anybody on the forum bought a set I'd be interested in the fit and finish and overall quality. It's a no-fuss option to getting mine re-chromed and it's about the same price.

Sold out? That's odd because now it is relisted with 4 sets available?!?!??!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370246553482&category=140707&_trksid=p4340.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DSI%252BUS-BWR%252BUCI%252BUCC%252BPSS%252BCRS%252BRTQ%252BIT%252BUA%26otn%3D1%26ps%3D33

What bugs me about it is the 14 day satisfaction guarantee. Not a lot of time to order, receive and review.