Sign in to follow this  
Kfox

Vin info.?

Thanks for the information. The door tag has been painted over.. I suppose the VIN also won't tell you if it originally had A/C. The bracket is there but the compressor is missing.

Kory

Thanks for the information. The door tag has been painted over.. I suppose the VIN also won't tell you if it originally had A/C. The bracket is there but the compressor is missing.

Kory

There again the Marti report will. Most people never added A/C brackets without a compressor but a lot of compressors were removed leaving the brackets (LOL).

Your car was also built around June 10th with that sequential number.

NOTE: the data on the door tag has raised characters, if you can't read it easily do a pencil rubbing. If the VIN matches and the body code is "63C" then it is a Mach.

You may be able to clean the tag off some with something plastic and careful scraping, I got the one on my 68 cleaned up decently with a plastic pen cap, tedious but worked. I have a replacement from Marti when I get the car repainted.

Solvents and abrasives will take the black printing off easily.

EDIT: I just thought of something else, this is a Metuchen built car and hopefully you still have a buck tag by the passenger hood hinge. That should show you any major options the car had including air cond.

If you have that tag and wish to post it just as it appears I'll happily break it down for you as I have several books here including Marti's tag book that explains all that.

Edited by Jay H 237

Thanks guys. This is a car that I was looking at to possibly buy. I don't own it. Chances are it will be another year or two before I'm really in position to buy one, but this one came up for sale locally and it's pretty much exactly what I would like to have if I can afford it. I'm not really all that concerned with the car being completely correct because I'm not looking to have a 100 point car. I want something that's nice, but that my family and I can drive and enjoy and not worry excessively about it getting scratched or something.

Kory

jay h 237 - Im curious if you could decode mine with that book?

Ive searched the internet high and low...with no luck

all i know is it is a mach 1 w/a 351. im trying to figure out what the original transmission was.

my door tag has been painted over as well. but i do have the hood tag.

it reads:

6 25L 63C 3D

9T02M143407 A BLACK

GT DE TT CL RM MO MC 3S

from this i think i figured out the second and third line... 63C is sportsroof mach.

3D is interior.

i was just curious what the bottom options are. if you get a free moment it would be appreciated!

O.K. little follow up guys. I went back and realized that what I thought was a painted over door tag was actually a sticker about midway up the door. I looked further down and found the tag, also painted over, but very readable. It reads: 63C M5 3A 09E 17 6X. So it sounds like it is a true MachI, but what does that other stuff mean. I looked the car over real good and couldn't find any evidence of rust or body repair except the bottom back corner of the drivers door has some body filler in the inside part that is cracking and coming off, but no apparent rust underneath. (I peeled a little). The floors look nice and clean, shock towers look solid. Everything I could get to looked solid. The motor has Edelbrock carb. and valve covers. Also there are 3 copper looking pipes coming through the firewall on the passenger side that have been capped off. I believe that's where the heater/A/C lines should be. That coupled with the A/C bracket leans me to believe that it did have A/C at one time. The interior is decent. Shows some wear but no rips or tears in the upholstery. Someone has pulled down the sail panel cover I assume to look to see if the 1/4 had been replaced, but other than that, the interior looks o.k. Paint is nice except a few cracks hear and there. Nothing bad. Engine compartment isn't the cleanest but not too bad. They're asking $18,995.

Kory

Using the cool little decoder:

Warranty Number: 9T02M207674

Year: 9 1969

Plant: T Metuchen, NJ

Body Series: 02 SportsRoof

Engine: M 351 4v V8

Unit: 207674 207674

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 63C SportsRoof, Mach 1, Deluxe Interior

Color: M5 Wimbledon White w/Flat Black Hood

Trim: 3A Black Vinyl and Black Knitted Vinyl, Mach 1 Luxury

Date: 09E May 09, 1969

D.S.O: 17 Washington

Axle: 6 3.00:1, Conventional

Trans: X FMX Automatic

Well, it's not the original color then. It's currently red with the mach I black hood and stripe on the side. Everything else seems to be right though. Thanks. Any opinions on the asking price?

I saw that add. No offense to anyone but I'm not a big fan of the big hood scoop look. I'm partial to the stock Mach I look. I guess because my dad and I spent most of my high school years restoring one. Then he got hard up for money and sold it. Also, the paint bubbles make me wonder if there's rust lurking underneath there. Now the performance upgrades and especially the 4 wheel disc brakes I do really like. Even if I was seriously interested in that car though, it's 3/4's of the way accross the country. I'd probably spend $1,500-2,000 to get it here. The car I was looking at is local.