Sign in to follow this  
Huckmag

'69 Clevor Monte Carlo Bar - Curved or Straight?

I'm a long way from the engine install but I'd like to get the bay squared up before it goes on the rotisserie. It's a '69 fastback with plans for a Clevor. Straight or curved MC bar? Any advice is definitely appreciated.

Edited by Huckmag
sp

I've had both. Go straight if you want function and have a low enough distributor. Go curved if you just want to look cool or have a tall distributor. :thumbup1:

With the straight bar I felt it helped along with a export brace. With a curved bar I couldn't tell any difference along with an export brace also.

I'd prefer the straight for the function. To me they look better than the curved . Likely because I know they perform better. This will be my 1st Clevor so I didn't know if I "had" to use the curved for a good fit.

I guess I should mention, I'm thinking of running an adaptor plate to use a Windsor intake manifold. I'm not sure if this hurts or helps my choice for the bar. I'll be installing a one piece export brace as well.

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll get the straight and make it work.

The dizzy will be in the same position with the windsor block if it fitted before it will fit after. i had a smaller dual point which let me use my own straight bar i fabricated and i have seen another that was made with a large radius from side to side arch over the distributor for extra clearance. i ve since taken it off to fit a msd pro billet dizzy. seen that you have an empty engine bay there maybe some other work you could consider to strengthen the towers. i have the export brace with a little extra reinforcing at the back firewall this area i found stress cracks when i had it stripped out. i also on the shock tower made the thick plate on the engine side fit flush and welded all around the dressed it up to a square edge and on the other side fitted a gusset to reinforce the tower all that done it helps reduce the need for the monte carlo bar although i would put it back if it would fit but only a straight one.

depending on what spacer plates and manifold you use you might have some clearance issues with the distributor my first on had to have some ground away and a little on the manifold to clear i have the trackboss with the 218cc chi and needed spacers plates to adapt to the high ports it was about 1" higher in the valley