Sign in to follow this  
miked159

storage question

hey guys, first off awesome site btw. I have a 69 fastback, been working on the engine portion for now. And I am going on deployment in a few months. My question is about storing it, right now the car has a flat tire, and another tire is pretty low on air. Im worried that if I leave it for six months, this slight tilt of the car might somehow be bad for the frame, so I was thinking of putting the car on jack-stands and leaving it like that for six months. Is that a good idea, or will it cause a bend in the frame as well? If these both are bad ideas what should I do?

P.S. The car is a rolling chassie, no engine, tranny or anything for that matter is in the car...only tires

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance

Not sure I follow - are you saying the house/garage on fire? If so, not too worried about the car at that point - wife and pets would be my concern (not neccessarily in that order). Also not sure I would be trying to start the car in the middle of a fire. In any case, that's what insurance is for....

I did hear about a guy who lifted his Mustang up on 4 jack stands only to come back later to find it had folded up in the center due to rotted floor boards. In the long run, it was better to find out that way and not on the road.

I used to put it up on stands every winter too but not anymore. I think if it was for a full a year I would but not for just the 5-6 months at a time and I have yet to develop flat spots in that little time, not sure though what if any toll it is taking on the suspension but I like to be able to roll it out if the opportunity presents itself and we get one of those freak gorgeous New england days in the middle of winter.

I was going to suggest though that you verify the car is solid before doing it as other than a rotted car there is no downside to putting it up on the stands for sure, best spots would be the front rails and rear axle

Not sure I follow - are you saying the house/garage on fire? If so, not too worried about the car at that point - wife and pets would be my concern (not neccessarily in that order). Also not sure I would be trying to start the car in the middle of a fire. In any case, that's what insurance is for....

I did hear about a guy who lifted his Mustang up on 4 jack stands only to come back later to find it had folded up in the center due to rotted floor boards. In the long run, it was better to find out that way and not on the road.

Yes, I was talking grage/house fire and of course family pets first but I would sure hate to stand their helpless and watch my car burn. I had a friend’s father watch his 428 Grand Torino burn in a car port being on jack stands like that.

I think I'd hate more being inside the car watching everything around me come crashing down and burning and leaving me and the car trapped. At least it would be easier to bury me in it though. If it came to that though how hard would it be I wonder to simply push with all your might from one end and tip it off the stands crashing down back onto all four tires? I don't want to actually test it but if i was in that situation and the fire wasn't breathing down on the garage section of the house just yet that I'd give it a try as opposed to breaking the jack out.