Sign in to follow this  
jonnybee

Aussie 69 Boss 429 Project

Got my Marti report last week. I'm suprised my fastback began as a Mach 1 with a 3 speed manual transmission and white sidewall Goodyears.

Can someone tell me if this was a column or floor shift? When I bought it, it came with a C4 auto.

Has anyone got photos of a Mach 1 with white sidewall tires?

The 3 would be on the floor for sure. I actually saw a picture of a Mach 1 or at least a fastback with whitewalls the other day, it was not great looking IMHO which is why I remember it, not sure where it was though, I'll look around for it.

believe it or not probably 90% of all 69 mustangs came with whitewalls, but whitewalls back then were cool because they were not what we have today, they were a thin pinstripe whitewall and they were located more toward the top of the tire rather than the big fat whitewalls we have today in the middle of the tire.

similar to this, but the stripe was actually closer to the tread.

http://store.coker.com/775-15-firestone-5-8-ww.html

My father and I just finished installing the TCI front suspension setup on our 69 mach 1. Went with their 12" willwood brake setup too. The car's still a ways off from being back on the road, but we were very impressed with the fit and quality of the TCI setup. My biggest worry is the coil-overs it comes with. They manufacture them, under the name "American Muscle." They look well made, but just not sure how they'll perform. They are non adjustable other than ride height, which is a bit disappointing, but I'll withhold judgement until I get to test them out. Went with Koni's in the rear. The only issue we had with the kit was the patch panels that cover the holes where the shock towers were didn't fit. The customer service was great though, we drew up a diagram with the modifications that needed to be made, sent it to them, and had a new set two days later. make sure you tell them you have a 69, they are different and should have our revisions on file.

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup1:

Do you know if they will break the kit up and leave out parts like the patch panels or coil-overs?

I wont be using the spring tower patches and instead will try to make complete new inner fenders.

Recently saw a great job done on a '70 Fastback with this kit at the Australian Mustang Nationals.

Spent last Sunday striping parts on the rear section of the fastback. When I removed the rear glass, there was a little rust on the bottom edges. Hopefully should be an easy fix with a couple of patches.

Found a bit of cancer on the right leaded joint from the roof to the rear quarter. Hope it dosen't spread too far.

The trunk area is in good condition with very little rust and the chassis rails are clean & straight.

The left rear quarter has had a patch welded in but it looks like a '70 patch? The side light hole is larger than the original hole on the right. Looks like I might replace the left rear quarter as a few areas are not up to scratch.

Cant do much more until I can get it in the shed.

believe it or not probably 90% of all 69 mustangs came with whitewalls, but whitewalls back then were cool because they were not what we have today, they were a thin pinstripe whitewall and they were located more toward the top of the tire rather than the big fat whitewalls we have today in the middle of the tire.

similar to this, but the stripe was actually closer to the tread.

http://store.coker.com/775-15-firestone-5-8-ww.html

bnickel:

are you sure those white sidewall tires you referenced in your link are what the marti report was referring too?

the invoice for my 69 mach says white side walls also, but it's the goodyear polyglas like in this link:

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires.html

bnickel:

are you sure those white sidewall tires you referenced in your link are what the marti report was referring too?

the invoice for my 69 mach says white side walls also, but it's the goodyear polyglas like in this link:

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires.html

actually if the car had raised white letters it would say RWL instead white sidewalls. so your car would have come with the regular whitewalls, NOT the Raised White Letters.

Another weekend gone. I was able to spend a few hours removing the seats and complete dash area. The floor, firewall and cowl panels are all in great condition. The transmission shifter hole has been butchered but will be cut out to make way for the soon to arrive Viper T56.

Body is now stripped and as I investigated the roof area, I found a few rust issues. Decided to remove the roof skin to find the frame rusted as well. Looks like the car has been rolled. The left side door & quarter window area is 3/8" lower than the right side! There is evidence that it alreadly had a roof skin replaced. On the rear glass frame, the original skin edge was still in place.

Now I will have to replace the roof frame as well as the skin. There is rust inside roof frame tubes. A set back for a few months.