Sign in to follow this  
SlimeGold 69

4 eyed Foxes 4 ever!

Speaking of flex, anyone else crack their floor from the inner rear front seat bolts? Before my subframes I cracked both sides, sheared through clean metal about 2-3 inches both sides! I had heard about this but I didnt think I had enough power. I was about to replace the carpet when I found it and then spent a weekend, and an entire 4" roll of mig wire underneath the car. Handled a lot better after that too.

Just about every 79-86 cracks in the rear floor pan and around the seats. The 87-93's don't seem to have this problem as bad. They must have plated the floor around the seat mounts. My 85 is blessed with this cracked floor problem also.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Was it a 5.7 or 5.0? The 5.7 Iroc's with a 5 speed where about a even match for a 87-93 5.0 5 speed mustang, stock to stock. A 305 with a automatic or 5 speed for that matter was not even a race (all the ones around here anyways). I waxed a many of them with my then stock 5.0 5 speed 87 LX from a dead stop, street racing. However my 87 was a quick car, even when stock. It was a basic no option coupe. No power windows or a/c.

nope it was a stone stock 5.0 automatic car, other than the acell hei super coil. we had suspected for a long time that it had a chip but when the computer went out the chip got replaced too and it ran the same as it did before, still wasting stock 5.0's. i really think it was the 14" wheels and tires that gave it the advantage, not only were they shorter and gave it a better overall ratio off the line they also weighed probably half of what the stock 16x9 cast aluminum iroc wheels did, so less rotating mass probably played a big role too. i was with him on a few of his 5.0 mustang adventures and can bear witness, even a really good driver in the mustang couldn't take him. every now and then he get his ass handed to him by a stealthily modded 5.0 but the bone stock ones were all his almost every single time.

it was actually kind of embarrassing to me since i was a total ford guy and couldn't believe his iroc was stomping these 5.0's so bad, that's when i figured out it had to be the wheels and tires, they were a good 2" shorter than the stock 16" iroc wheels. they were the same size tires 245/50 but on a 14" rim instead of the 16" rims and the riken wheels are very light since they have a forged rim and a cast center. that's all i could ever come up with.

That's a nice pace car X, thanks for the memories!. Lucky for you, yours was missing the big orange MUSTANG stickers on the hood, all the other stripes and big bold OFFICIAL PACE CAR down the side. I had people coming up to me all the time asking ''is that a real race car?''. For some reason they thought it said race, not pace. Did you know that Ford also had a 79 F-100 Pace Truck edition? Same colors and stripes. To me that was just a little to funky-70ish looking even when they where new.

It had the stripes & lettering the 1st time I owned it. The next owner (and PO when I bought it back) had it repainted then I had it painted again after someone came over into my lane, just as I was passing through their blind spot, taking out the right front. It now is owned by a guy about 2 mi north and is painted all flat black.

I remember those trucks. Nice 85 btw.

as for pace cars, the guy who bought my dads ford dealership in the late 70's took home 2 brand new pace cars. turned one into a drag car, mothballed the other one. last i heard, he still had it put away. (yeah, i was blessed as a child. got to sit in every new mach1 & boss 302 that came thru the place. spent hours "racing" on the showroom floor)

It's a funny thing... growing up, my dad was a GM guy (had a 65 GTO as a kid and later a 69 Buick Riveara), but i always connected with Fords, specifically Mustangs. They just screamed power/speed/coolness to me!

In high school two of my buddies had 69 coupes. I remember the first time that one of them screamed down my block in it (didn't know him at the time). I was 16 and was familiar with the 64-67 style mustangs, but had never seen a 69 before. The quad headlights, pointed nose, it looked like a killer shark man, i was hooked! I swore i'd own one some day...

I couldn't afford a clean 69 back then, So Fox body stangs are where i got my start, and i love'em to death. Thought the T-top versions were the best! I remember looking at an 87 5 speed T-Top stang first. Had a Gt-40 intake, gears and a few other goodies. I remember taking it for a test drive and was like, Holy Shit! The car was so F'in fast to me!

My Dad talked me out of it cause the tranny was grinding (I think back now and i know it was because he thought the car was too fast, not because of the trans!)

Ended up with an 87 Convertible as my first. I modded the hell out of that car (spent every dime i made at the time on it). Had several fox body stangs after that, including my 88 LX race car that i built in my early 20's (Best Et of 10.30 at 128).

When i see a clean one today my head still turns... i appreciate them so much. But i don't think i could/would ever own one again. They just scream kids cars to me. I'd feel out of place driving one now (like an old man driving a riced out Honda Civic or something). It's weird i know.

That's why when i felt the itch to get a mustang again, i went with the 69. Feels more like an adult car.

But anyway, enough of my babbeling :)

Nice car! Good luck with it!

*Oh, and one other thing* As far as IROC's went, we stomped them all night long street racing back in the day! They were dogs compared to the Stangs!

Edited by Jayru

*Oh, and one other thing* As far as IROC's went, we stomped them all night long street racing back in the day! They were dogs compared to the Stangs!

i swear it's the truth, i bleed and always have bled Ford blue (though i am quite fond of jeep cherokees). the 69 GT was my first car and i've had many other fords since then. my wife and i currently own 4 fords, technically they are all mine since all the cars are in my name, 02 Escape (wife's car) my DD 86 town car, the stang and my latest project the 69 cougar.

back the iroc, it was my little brothers car and not mine, in fact i hated that car; i tried to change the starter on it once for my brother and the damn starter fell on my hand after i'd been battling with for almost an hour trying to get it out and it broke my hand.......but as far as it beating up on 5.0 mustangs i can't lie about it, it did eat 'em for lunch just about every time and the one's he lost too had chips, and cold air intakes, gears, etc., etc. he never, ever lost to a stock one and it was most definitely a 5.0 iroc and not a 5.7 either. i really, honestly wish i could say he lost to the 5.0's all the time because i really hated that car after it broke my hand but the truth is that didn't lose to them unless they had been pretty heavily modified

I believe you. I have drove many stock 5.0 mustangs and some where gutless and some/most ran like a raped ape. It's just a luck of the draw with any car. I raced and drove many Camaro's and T/A from 80's to 90's also and the ones around here ( stock or mostly stock mind you) just didn't have it, but I'm sure there was some quick stock ones out there.

hey "slime", had a guy come by the shop thurs with an 85 gt just like yours. it was a red t-top car with 45,000 original miles. he's kinda frustrated because he can't find a pass door glass. he was asking me about painting the car & another 55 chev. truck he has, then mentioned selling the car. might see if i can get it in trade for some labor on doing the truck.

hey "slime", had a guy come by the shop thurs with an 85 gt just like yours. it was a red t-top car with 45,000 original miles. he's kinda frustrated because he can't find a pass door glass. he was asking me about painting the car & another 55 chev. truck he has, then mentioned selling the car. might see if i can get it in trade for some labor on doing the truck.

Lucky dog. With only 45,000 miles, sounds like it would be good deal if you could get it cheap enough. Is it a 5 speed?

yep, i wouldn't even consider one in an auto. it does need some work, even being a low mileage car. looks like it sat out for a few years & the paint is faded & a few of the side mldgs. have fell off. looks like it might buff out for the most part.

If you end up with it, take some pics and post them. Sounds like a good fixer-upper and drive-her.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

He cant find a passenger door glass?? Has he looked? There's a guy in Albany, NY that must have 100 of them.

He cant find a passenger door glass?? Has he looked? There's a guy in Albany, NY that must have 100 of them.

the t-top cars carry a different glass & from what i remember (22 yrs in the glass business) there were 2 different versions of those. i don't think it would be too hard to find one if you look around.

the t-top cars carry a different glass & from what i remember (22 yrs in the glass business) there were 2 different versions of those. i don't think it would be too hard to find one if you look around.

A convertible door glass will work as well. I know from experience!