Sign in to follow this  
Jurisd

Mystery switches...

So I took apart the dash of my new-to-me '69 convertible, in order to fix an intermittent power switch for the convertible top. In doing so, I found not only that power top switch (which I managed to clean up), but two others mounted beside it (all lined up under the a/c vents). One is a switch that appears to work much like the convertible (center pole, can be switched forward or backward). It looks to be stock/original (but doesn't control anything). The other (closest to the driver side) is a single pole switch with four wires coming off of it.

Can anyone clue me in what those other two swtiches are for?

I believe they are the front/rear radio fader and the on/off switch for the speed control. Obviously a convertible never got a rear speaker, so I'm going to guess the two came as a "set" and they simply left the fader disconnected.

Here's the requested picture. On the far right is the switch for the top. Middle switch seems to be the same type (SPDT), but controls nothing. Far left (with green and gray wires) is a SPST (if memory serves). I kind of doubt it is original, given the speaker-wiring colors...

Now, anyone want to clue me in - what is a speed control switch? Looks like it was an expensive option from the factory, but I haven't found out what it did.

Here's the requested picture. On the far right is the switch for the top. Middle switch seems to be the same type (SPDT), but controls nothing. Far left (with green and gray wires) is a SPST (if memory serves). I kind of doubt it is original, given the speaker-wiring colors...

Now, anyone want to clue me in - what is a speed control switch? Looks like it was an expensive option from the factory, but I haven't found out what it did.

speed control is what Ford called cruise control. i really, really need that switch if you aren't going to use it, i have a complete system except for that switch and they are impossible to find by themselves, at least for a reasonable price anyway.

Well, I looked and it appears it does have Speed Control - not sure how many of the engine-bay parts I need, since I don't have the original motor. BNickel, I'll give it some thought, assuming I'm missing most of the system already.

Anyone have an opinion whether the $45 Marti Report is enough, or the $220? I can certainly frame the docs for less than $175...

Well, I looked and it appears it does have Speed Control - not sure how many of the engine-bay parts I need, since I don't have the original motor. BNickel, I'll give it some thought, assuming I'm missing most of the system already.

Anyone have an opinion whether the $45 Marti Report is enough, or the $220? I can certainly frame the docs for less than $175...

the $45 marti report will tell you everything you need to know about the car. if you want to know if your car is a 1 of with hub caps and white letter tires with california air in the tires you'll have to buy the $200 report though.

i would certainly appreciate the chance to buy that switch from you, in fact i'd even trade you an NOS aftermarket cruise control setup that is exactly the same system as what ford sold over the counter for it if you'd like.

you should also have a very different turn signal lever with the a push button for setting the cruise as well as a special gas pedal assembly with a bellows attached to it too. if you don't have the turn signal lever or the bellows gas pedal you're missing the other very expensive parts of the system. the stuff under the hood isn't exactly cheap or easy to find either but those parts are easier to find than the lever and pedal