Sign in to follow this  
grendi

1970 delux seat to mach1 seat conversion, is it possible?

A friend offered me 70 delux seats for an acceptable price.

My question to the experts: is it possible to use 69 mach1 upholstery on these seats if i replace the current seat foam with a mach1 seat foam?

A friend offered me 70 delux seats for an acceptable price.

My question to the experts: is it possible to use 69 mach1 upholstery on these seats if i replace the current seat foam with a mach1 seat foam?

I don't believe you can. If the deluxe seats are those with the low backs and the head rests then definitely not, the mach 1 seat frame goes all the way up, the other seats will have a smaller frame since it's just a low back with a head rest. So if these "deluxe" seats are what I'm thinking they are then it won't work, but if its the shape of the mach 1 seat it will. Sorry I don't have much knowledge with other seats, only the mach 1 ones.

I don't believe you can. If the deluxe seats are those with the low backs and the head rests then definitely not, the mach 1 seat frame goes all the way up, the other seats will have a smaller frame since it's just a low back with a head rest. So if these "deluxe" seats are what I'm thinking they are then it won't work, but if its the shape of the mach 1 seat it will. Sorry I don't have much knowledge with other seats, only the mach 1 ones.

the 70 delux seats are hiback, the 69 delux seats are low back with headrest.

i know they use a slightly different seat foam, but i don't know if the frame is the same

Edited by grendi

the 70 delux seats are hiback, the 69 delux seats are low back with headrest.

i know they use a slightly different seat foam, but i don't know if the frame is the same

Edited by grendi

Id be pretty surprised if the 69 and 70 highback frames are significantly different knowing ford, there could be a minor difference though like upgrading something small that was an issue in 69 for example.

Even though the 70 deluxe foam is different than the Mach 1 foam that is mainly due to the design and pattern of the cover, the 69' and 70' mach one take the same foam and so I find it hard to believe the 70' mach 1 frame and the 70' deluxe frame are different so it must be close or exact to 69' as well.

Id be pretty surprised if the 69 and 70 highback frames are significantly different knowing ford, there could be a minor difference though like upgrading something small that was an issue in 69 for example.

Even though the 70 deluxe foam is different than the Mach 1 foam that is mainly due to the design and pattern of the cover, the 69' and 70' mach one take the same foam and so I find it hard to believe the 70' mach 1 frame and the 70' deluxe frame are different so it must be close or exact to 69' as well.

The frame is the same between them and even with the cougars. I'm pretty sure the foam is the same too. You should be able to just get the 69 mach 1 upholstery. I recently sold the 70 cougar seats I had in my mustang. The only difference was the pleating on the cougar's is vertical where the mustang's is horizontal. Verify with one of the big parts vendors on the foam though.

edit: I forgot the location of the release handle is different between cougars & mustangs.

Edited by RacerX

The frame is the same between them and even with the cougars. I'm pretty sure the foam is the same too. You should be able to just get the 69 mach 1 upholstery. I recently sold the 70 cougar seats I had in my mustang. The only difference was the pleating on the cougar's is vertical where the mustang's is horizontal. Verify with one of the big parts vendors on the foam though.

edit: I forgot the location of the release handle is different between cougars & mustangs.

Edited by RacerX

mustangs and cougars had the release handle in the same place but they are different between 69/70 on stangs and cougs. 70 are way down low and 69 are about midway up. you can use the deluxe covers on the mach 1 foam but not sure about the other way around. i have 70 mach 1 seats with 70 deluxe covers in my car.

mustangs and cougars had the release handle in the same place but they are different between 69/70 on stangs and cougs. 70 are way down low and 69 are about midway up. you can use the deluxe covers on the mach 1 foam but not sure about the other way around. i have 70 mach 1 seats with 70 deluxe covers in my car.

@pakrat: NPD lists two foams. one for the 70 std.+deluxe and one for the

69-70 mach1.

@bnickel: thanks for the hint with the lever!

now that you mention it, i see it on the pictures.

does anybody know if the holes for the lever are already cutout in the upholstery from NPD or MU?

unfortunately you can't get 70 upholstery in dark red :-(

Edited by grendi

@pakrat: NPD lists two foams. one for the 70 std.+deluxe and one for the

69-70 mach1.

@bnickel: thanks for the hint with the lever!

now that you mention it, i see it on the pictures.

does anybody know if the holes for the lever are already cutout in the upholstery from NPD or MU?

unfortunately you can't get 70 upholstery in dark red :-(

Edited by grendi

I stand corrected, thanks bnickel

I stand corrected, thanks bnickel