Sign in to follow this  
69mustang351W

Power steering leakage

Today I drove my mustang first time since september 2008 :). Have been working with the powersteering among other things on my mustang this winter. I replaced many of the tubes/lines in the powersteering and when i filled the pump/reservoir it was some leakage. Also when I started the engine and turned the wheel to the left and right several times, it was some leakage. Its not very much leakage, and I guess its normal with some leakage when the tubes/lines have been replaced. It may be better. Does someone have some experience?

Today I drove my mustang first time since september 2008 :). Have been working with the powersteering among other things on my mustang this winter. I replaced many of the tubes/lines in the powersteering and when i filled the pump/reservoir it was some leakage. Also when I started the engine and turned the wheel to the left and right several times, it was some leakage. Its not very much leakage, and I guess its normal with some leakage when the tubes/lines have been replaced. It may be better. Does someone have some experience?

Is the leak coming from the pwr steering pump line connections, the line connections at the pwr steering arm or control valve? I replaced every single part of my pwr steering system and i have zero leaks. I think perhaps i am lucky. Based on my experience over the past 17 years of owning and working on 69 and 70 mustangs, the leaks end up coming from the line connection to the pwr steer control valve. Most of the time the seats in the valve where the line connects ends up being deformed from over tightening and years of replacement hoses.

Clean up everything and find out specifically where the leak(s) is coming from. Maybe just some tightening will solve your problem. Good luck.

Is the leak coming from the pwr steering pump line connections, the line connections at the pwr steering arm or control valve? I replaced every single part of my pwr steering system and i have zero leaks. I think perhaps i am lucky. Based on my experience over the past 17 years of owning and working on 69 and 70 mustangs, the leaks end up coming from the line connection to the pwr steer control valve. Most of the time the seats in the valve where the line connects ends up being deformed from over tightening and years of replacement hoses.

Clean up everything and find out specifically where the leak(s) is coming from. Maybe just some tightening will solve your problem. Good luck.

These systems have been plagued with leaks from day one, most leaks actually come from over tightening, it splits the seat on the new hose and no amount of further tightening will fix it. Also, if you are running power steering fluid in it instead of automatic transmission fluid then it is too thin for the old system and will tend to leak more or sooner than the recommended ATF will.

These systems have been plagued with leaks from day one, most leaks actually come from over tightening, it splits the seat on the new hose and no amount of further tightening will fix it. Also, if you are running power steering fluid in it instead of automatic transmission fluid then it is too thin for the old system and will tend to leak more or sooner than the recommended ATF will.

Ok, just used mostly ATF, and a bit of power steering fluid. Drove over 120 european kilometers, 192 miles, yesterday and was measuring the fluid in the reservoir after the trip. It hadnt been leaking so much, just a small part.

Ok, just used mostly ATF, and a bit of power steering fluid. Drove over 120 european kilometers, 192 miles, yesterday and was measuring the fluid in the reservoir after the trip. It hadnt been leaking so much, just a small part.

Does anyone know of the size of the tube seats on the control valve and cylinder? My car is in the paint shop and i can not remember how many are 1/4 and how many are 5/16 and I need to order them.

It is a orginal 69 mustang mid year build control valve and cylinder.