Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Kiss

Modern day Magnum 500 - by Foose

Those are very nice but I am thinking seriously about these AR500 from American Racing. They are available in 15 inch and 17 inch. A modern take on the Magnum but with a bit less bling than the Foose.

Yeah the AR is what I am going with, I was one of the first to try and get them, there are several old threads on the subject in here. They ended up delaying production on me by over a year and it was prepaid and a whole big mess, hopefully straightened out now though.

Those are very nice but I am thinking seriously about these AR500 from American Racing. They are available in 15 inch and 17 inch. A modern take on the Magnum but with a bit less bling than the Foose.

Yeah the AR is what I am going with, I was one of the first to try and get them, there are several old threads on the subject in here. They ended up delaying production on me by over a year and it was prepaid and a whole big mess, hopefully straightened out now though.

Im using these 17x8 magnums w/245/45/17 nittos extreme. www.specialtywheelsltd.org

I looked at those a long time ago but several things still bother me about it.

1) to the best of my knowledge they do not increase the size of the center portion to grow with the rest of the rim at 17" so it is all made up of more outer rim added to it.

2) They are all steel and get very heavy at the 17" size.

3) They only come in an 8" at that size, nothing larger for the rear.

4) At $315 a pop they aren't any cheaper than an all Aluminum fully scaled 17" version.

I would really have to see what one actually looks like in a 17" to pass judgement but my guess is that without the proper proportions thru out that it's not very pretty looking and with no other benefits over Aluminum it's hard to lean that way, for me anyway.

Im using these 17x8 magnums w/245/45/17 nittos extreme. www.specialtywheelsltd.org

I looked at those a long time ago but several things still bother me about it.

1) to the best of my knowledge they do not increase the size of the center portion to grow with the rest of the rim at 17" so it is all made up of more outer rim added to it.

2) They are all steel and get very heavy at the 17" size.

3) They only come in an 8" at that size, nothing larger for the rear.

4) At $315 a pop they aren't any cheaper than an all Aluminum fully scaled 17" version.

I would really have to see what one actually looks like in a 17" to pass judgement but my guess is that without the proper proportions thru out that it's not very pretty looking and with no other benefits over Aluminum it's hard to lean that way, for me anyway.

Pakrat,

I have seen the Specialty 17" version at the SEMA show, and I agree they look out of proportion. See below.

I am trying to decide between the Wheel Vintiques and the American Racing version in 17" for my street wheels. Sounds like you had a bad experience with AR, did you ever get it straightened out?

Anyone else here have any experience with the AR or WV magnums?

Mike

Pakrat,

I have seen the Specialty 17" version at the SEMA show, and I agree they look out of proportion. See below.

I am trying to decide between the Wheel Vintiques and the American Racing version in 17" for my street wheels. Sounds like you had a bad experience with AR, did you ever get it straightened out?

Anyone else here have any experience with the AR or WV magnums?

Mike

It's not that I had a bad experience with AR so much as I tried to be one of the first people to order a set the week they announced it and it was suppose to take 3-5 weeks, 2 months later I was told there were technical issues, another month later it was a backlog in the custom shop, a few months after that they pulled the plug and delayed the intro for over a year. I was fine for most of it except that I had payed in advance thru a third party and no one seemed to ever be able to just give me a straight answer.

We have a member here with a Boss 429 that has the WV version but they are just way overpriced I think in comparison and aside from the center cap they don't look a whole lot different than the AR version.

It's not that I had a bad experience with AR so much as I tried to be one of the first people to order a set the week they announced it and it was suppose to take 3-5 weeks, 2 months later I was told there were technical issues, another month later it was a backlog in the custom shop, a few months after that they pulled the plug and delayed the intro for over a year. I was fine for most of it except that I had payed in advance thru a third party and no one seemed to ever be able to just give me a straight answer.

We have a member here with a Boss 429 that has the WV version but they are just way overpriced I think in comparison and aside from the center cap they don't look a whole lot different than the AR version.

I finally got to see a set of AR magnums at the GoodGuys show in Costa Mesa a month ago. They looked really good, but the center cap looked too small in diameter. It looked kind of strange. I wonder if the WV running horse center caps or stock caps will fit the AR wheels?

I did like the radiused cutouts on the AR wheels, as opposed the squared off cutouts on the WV's.

Mike

I finally got to see a set of AR magnums at the GoodGuys show in Costa Mesa a month ago. They looked really good, but the center cap looked too small in diameter. It looked kind of strange. I wonder if the WV running horse center caps or stock caps will fit the AR wheels?

I did like the radiused cutouts on the AR wheels, as opposed the squared off cutouts on the WV's.

Mike