Sign in to follow this  
maleah

Steering Play

I know this subject has been beat to death but the play I have in the steering seems to be coming from the connection of the Pitman arm to the steering valve boldt. i can turn the wheel slightly right and left about2 inches before the pitman arm forces the steering valve boldt to finially kick in. Is there an ajustment on the stering valve for this type of problem? I have a stock rebuilt power steering system with new steering box, rag joint, pitman arm and stering unit.

I know this subject has been beat to death but the play I have in the steering seems to be coming from the connection of the Pitman arm to the steering valve boldt. i can turn the wheel slightly right and left about2 inches before the pitman arm forces the steering valve boldt to finially kick in. Is there an ajustment on the stering valve for this type of problem? I have a stock rebuilt power steering system with new steering box, rag joint, pitman arm and stering unit.

The only adjustment that i know of on the powr steering control valve is to center the pressure for right and left turns. Are you saying that the control valve that you have is new or rebuilt?

The only adjustment that i know of on the powr steering control valve is to center the pressure for right and left turns. Are you saying that the control valve that you have is new or rebuilt?

The control valve is rebuilt. The play is definitly in that area of the pitman arm and the control valve boldt. I can turn the wheel both directions about 2 inches before thecontrol valve actually takes over.

The control valve is rebuilt. The play is definitly in that area of the pitman arm and the control valve boldt. I can turn the wheel both directions about 2 inches before thecontrol valve actually takes over.

Does the control valve bolt actually move during this 2 inches with no response? If so the valve is the problem even if it is new or rebuilt. If it's in the linkage it should adjust out or change the linkage. MrD2

Does the control valve bolt actually move during this 2 inches with no response? If so the valve is the problem even if it is new or rebuilt. If it's in the linkage it should adjust out or change the linkage. MrD2

Regardless of whether the steering box is new or not, this play usually comes from the worm gears. On an old box it's because they are worn and on a new one from not having the right preload on them. If it was not set properly with an in/lb torque wrench it can wear excessively way too fast and immediatly start to show signs of play.

Here's how to set the steering worm and sector gear preload. At the top of the gear box loosen the sector shaft lock nut and back off the sector shaft screw a few turns. Using a puller disconnect the pitman arm from the pitman arm to idler arm rod. You should now be able to get a little play left and right on the pitman arm. With the steering wheel at center, (halfway between full left and full right), tighten the sector shaft screw a little at a time until all the play is just removed from the pitman arm. This will require going back and forth between the adjustment and checking the play on the pitman arm. Tighten the sector shaft screw at 3-5 in/lbs (the improper shadetree method is just an additional 1/16 of a turn if you can't beg/borrow/afford a in/lb wrench but you could f-things up so I make no claims on that method and it is at your own risk) and tighten the lock nut ensuring that the sector shaft screw does not turn. Reconnect the pitman arm to the pitman arm to idler arm rod. This will work for manual as well as power assisted steering.

Regardless of whether the steering box is new or not, this play usually comes from the worm gears. On an old box it's because they are worn and on a new one from not having the right preload on them. If it was not set properly with an in/lb torque wrench it can wear excessively way too fast and immediatly start to show signs of play.

Here's how to set the steering worm and sector gear preload. At the top of the gear box loosen the sector shaft lock nut and back off the sector shaft screw a few turns. Using a puller disconnect the pitman arm from the pitman arm to idler arm rod. You should now be able to get a little play left and right on the pitman arm. With the steering wheel at center, (halfway between full left and full right), tighten the sector shaft screw a little at a time until all the play is just removed from the pitman arm. This will require going back and forth between the adjustment and checking the play on the pitman arm. Tighten the sector shaft screw at 3-5 in/lbs (the improper shadetree method is just an additional 1/16 of a turn if you can't beg/borrow/afford a in/lb wrench but you could f-things up so I make no claims on that method and it is at your own risk) and tighten the lock nut ensuring that the sector shaft screw does not turn. Reconnect the pitman arm to the pitman arm to idler arm rod. This will work for manual as well as power assisted steering.

It sounds like you didn't put the roll pin back in.

there is a measurement of where the control valve is to be placed and then roll pin needs to be installed and clamp on valve to steering link tightened.

It sounds like you didn't put the roll pin back in.

there is a measurement of where the control valve is to be placed and then roll pin needs to be installed and clamp on valve to steering link tightened.

PAK and MR D2 are both right, I just had the same problem. This is how I got rid of the play. The first item is to eliminate the steering box as the source. Run the car and slowly turn the steering wheel as you have the door open and watch the pitman arm. If it moves both ways as soon as you turn the steering wheel, the steering box should be good. The control valve is bad. I sent my valve to Rode's Restorations in Galion Ohio. They have been rebuilding these valves for 40 yrs. Great people and great service. I am very, very happy with the rebuilt. Another advantage is you can rest assured your valve will work when you get it back........just my two cents JAG

PAK and MR D2 are both right, I just had the same problem. This is how I got rid of the play. The first item is to eliminate the steering box as the source. Run the car and slowly turn the steering wheel as you have the door open and watch the pitman arm. If it moves both ways as soon as you turn the steering wheel, the steering box should be good. The control valve is bad. I sent my valve to Rode's Restorations in Galion Ohio. They have been rebuilding these valves for 40 yrs. Great people and great service. I am very, very happy with the rebuilt. Another advantage is you can rest assured your valve will work when you get it back........just my two cents JAG

I have manual steering and am able to turn the top input of the box (where the rag joint connects) at least an inch before the bottom pitman arm moves.

No ammount of adjustment seems to lessen the play.

Does this mean my steering box is no good?

I have manual steering and am able to turn the top input of the box (where the rag joint connects) at least an inch before the bottom pitman arm moves.

No ammount of adjustment seems to lessen the play.

Does this mean my steering box is no good?