Sign in to follow this  
hammerit

Simple interior upgrade

Just finished a cheap and simple upgrade. I always liked the carpeted door kick panels on the delux trim Mustangs. Mine were getting beat up by the seat belt and feet. I made a template of the kick panels from masonite, and for about $10 in carpet from Lowes and some double sided duct tape I did the doors. There was enough left over to make new floor mats for front and rear using my rubber mats as a template. I like how they blend in and look nicer than the rubber mats. They are cheap enough to just replace when to worn and dirty. Once the templates are made it takes less than 15 min. to make all new ones.

Just finished a cheap and simple upgrade. I always liked the carpeted door kick panels on the delux trim Mustangs. Mine were getting beat up by the seat belt and feet. I made a template of the kick panels from masonite, and for about $10 in carpet from Lowes and some double sided duct tape I did the doors. There was enough left over to make new floor mats for front and rear using my rubber mats as a template. I like how they blend in and look nicer than the rubber mats. They are cheap enough to just replace when to worn and dirty. Once the templates are made it takes less than 15 min. to make all new ones.

excuse my ignorance, what is masonite? did you cut the carpet and just tape it to the bottom of the door? the floor mats, are they just cut carpet pieces? i do like how it looks and think i might do the same. the previous owner butchered the door speaker holes and i have thought about just covering them over.

excuse my ignorance, what is masonite? did you cut the carpet and just tape it to the bottom of the door? the floor mats, are they just cut carpet pieces? i do like how it looks and think i might do the same. the previous owner butchered the door speaker holes and i have thought about just covering them over.

Masonite is just a compressed saw dust type of wood. Any thin plywood type product would work for the template. Wood is better than cardboard because it provides a better guide for the knife. Just cut the carpet with a good sharp utility knife and a steady hand. I taped it with a double sided duct tape to the kick panel. The floor mats are cut the same way using my mats as the template. I also cut the new carpet mats slightly different from the original mats to make them fit even better. The carpet is an indoor/outdoor carpet so the edges dont fray or unravel. Taking your time to make a nice accurate template for the doors will make for a better finished product and quick and easy replacements as they start showing wear.

Masonite is just a compressed saw dust type of wood. Any thin plywood type product would work for the template. Wood is better than cardboard because it provides a better guide for the knife. Just cut the carpet with a good sharp utility knife and a steady hand. I taped it with a double sided duct tape to the kick panel. The floor mats are cut the same way using my mats as the template. I also cut the new carpet mats slightly different from the original mats to make them fit even better. The carpet is an indoor/outdoor carpet so the edges dont fray or unravel. Taking your time to make a nice accurate template for the doors will make for a better finished product and quick and easy replacements as they start showing wear.

oh, we just call that stuff partical board around here. i may look into that as an option. thanks

Actually just FYI, they are quite different materials and Masonite goes thinner than partical board. It has been around since the mid 20's and very widely used in the 1930s and 1940s for a variety of applications like doors, roofing, walls, desktops, electric guitars, canoes, etc. It is still sometimes used for house siding and if kept painted at regular intervals will actually last for the life of the house. Its popularity has faded but it is still used, mostly by hobbyists though. Unlike the wood chip and glue method of making particle board it's formed using wooden chips but blasting them into long fibers with steam and then forming them into boards (known as the Mason method). The boards are then pressed and heated to form the finished boards, no glue or other material is added. The long fibers give Masonite a high bending strength, tensile strength, density and stability. Unlike other composite wood panels produced using formaldehyde-based resins to bind fibers, Masonite is made using natural ingredients only, which makes it an environmentally friendly product. With todays greener ways I expect the widespread use of this product to make a comback.

oh, we just call that stuff partical board around here. i may look into that as an option. thanks

Actually just FYI, they are quite different materials and Masonite goes thinner than partical board. It has been around since the mid 20's and very widely used in the 1930s and 1940s for a variety of applications like doors, roofing, walls, desktops, electric guitars, canoes, etc. It is still sometimes used for house siding and if kept painted at regular intervals will actually last for the life of the house. Its popularity has faded but it is still used, mostly by hobbyists though. Unlike the wood chip and glue method of making particle board it's formed using wooden chips but blasting them into long fibers with steam and then forming them into boards (known as the Mason method). The boards are then pressed and heated to form the finished boards, no glue or other material is added. The long fibers give Masonite a high bending strength, tensile strength, density and stability. Unlike other composite wood panels produced using formaldehyde-based resins to bind fibers, Masonite is made using natural ingredients only, which makes it an environmentally friendly product. With todays greener ways I expect the widespread use of this product to make a comback.

Very nice. What center console is that? Looks good too. Does it have a hinged top?

Thanks.

Thanks. Its the one you find at most Mustang vendors. The Humphugger I think its called and it does have a hinged top. I was also very impressed with its quality.

Very nice. What center console is that? Looks good too. Does it have a hinged top?

Thanks.

Thanks. Its the one you find at most Mustang vendors. The Humphugger I think its called and it does have a hinged top. I was also very impressed with its quality.