Sign in to follow this  
stangme428

Shelby De Mexico look

anybody thought of the shelby de mexico mod to their coupe?

got these photos from bradbarnett dot net site...

more info here .. darkhorseracing dot net/south_of_the_boarder dot htm

Edited by stangme428
info links

anybody thought of the shelby de mexico mod to their coupe?

got these photos from bradbarnett dot net site...

more info here .. darkhorseracing dot net/south_of_the_boarder dot htm

Edited by stangme428
info links

We actually had one member who comes and goes that was working on one, he had health issues though and I don't know how it turned out. I also recall that I mentioning somewhere at some time in an unrelated thread that I thought the sail panels would be a nice untapped aftermarket fiberglass part to make for coupe owners who coveted the sportsroof look but couldn't afford one.

Do a search for "Shelby + Mexic*" and you should turn up some stuff as we have also reffered to it as Mexican Shelby in the past and not the correct title.

We actually had one member who comes and goes that was working on one, he had health issues though and I don't know how it turned out. I also recall that I mentioning somewhere at some time in an unrelated thread that I thought the sail panels would be a nice untapped aftermarket fiberglass part to make for coupe owners who coveted the sportsroof look but couldn't afford one.

Do a search for "Shelby + Mexic*" and you should turn up some stuff as we have also reffered to it as Mexican Shelby in the past and not the correct title.

Pak ... it would be interesting for the market... have the "templates" ever turned up ... anybody have drawings of them etc... i have a few shelby books but only a bit of info on them. and it seems to be the same info on the net.:whistling:

Pak ... it would be interesting for the market... have the "templates" ever turned up ... anybody have drawings of them etc... i have a few shelby books but only a bit of info on them. and it seems to be the same info on the net.:whistling:

I don't think it would be hard to duplicate as long as it didn't have to be dead nuts on and I would have to believe that more folks these days would be interested in blending it in and painting it over the original vinyl option, so it owuld probably have to be a smoother cleaner mold than what I imagine the original was. In fact the best option would probably be to copy the profile line of a fastback instead.

I don't think it would be hard to duplicate as long as it didn't have to be dead nuts on and I would have to believe that more folks these days would be interested in blending it in and painting it over the original vinyl option, so it owuld probably have to be a smoother cleaner mold than what I imagine the original was. In fact the best option would probably be to copy the profile line of a fastback instead.

They didn't necessarily "hack" the back, it was just Mexican Regulation for some of the car to be made and assembled in Mexico, so I guess they made it different for that reason. "Shelby only puts his name on the fastest cars" so it must be a bad ass. I like the back way more than our coupes, especially the lights. I was reading somewhere that the engine block was made of heavier steel...im not sure if this is true though?

They didn't necessarily "hack" the back, it was just Mexican Regulation for some of the car to be made and assembled in Mexico, so I guess they made it different for that reason. "Shelby only puts his name on the fastest cars" so it must be a bad ass. I like the back way more than our coupes, especially the lights. I was reading somewhere that the engine block was made of heavier steel...im not sure if this is true though?

yeah, looks ok from the front, gay from the back IMO... why hack up a nice coupe? Original one is cool yes, I know of them.... but to copy one is not cool IMO, that's all.

I can't believe this comment is coming from a man who is contemplating, amongst other unusual choices, adding a 67/68 upper Shelby scoop to the sail panels of his own coupe?!??!?!??! :blink:

yeah, looks ok from the front, gay from the back IMO... why hack up a nice coupe? Original one is cool yes, I know of them.... but to copy one is not cool IMO, that's all.

I can't believe this comment is coming from a man who is contemplating, amongst other unusual choices, adding a 67/68 upper Shelby scoop to the sail panels of his own coupe?!??!?!??! :blink:

:blush: I saw it in a dream... things always look cooler in a dream! I was contemplating having someone "draw it" to see how it looked. You dont know unless you try sometimes. My car is YEARS from being done, no harm in drawing something and planning a build! Besides, adding a scoop is a far cry from putting fins on the quarters!

...other unusual choices? :001_huh: Like what color?, wheels? lol

Regardless, I get your point :surrender: but it's just an opinion. Hey, to each their own.

:blush: I saw it in a dream... things always look cooler in a dream! I was contemplating having someone "draw it" to see how it looked. You dont know unless you try sometimes. My car is YEARS from being done, no harm in drawing something and planning a build! Besides, adding a scoop is a far cry from putting fins on the quarters!

Regardless, I get your point :surrender: but it's just an opinion. Hey, to each their own.

I'm still working on my 69 Shelby de Mexico clone. It's a real slow ordeal with my health problems but it's a great way to occupy myself. I'm in the process of building my 351c cj for it now. I have been searching for a 69-70 clutch pedal set and cross member for the top loader 4 speed at a reasonable price, "hint". That said; The name of the partner of Carroll Shelby in Mexico is Eduardo Valazquez Chavez. A good site to visit is www.drndns.org then read The Saga of Shelby de Mexico. It's very interesting. God bless all, MrD2

I'm still working on my 69 Shelby de Mexico clone. It's a real slow ordeal with my health problems but it's a great way to occupy myself. I'm in the process of building my 351c cj for it now. I have been searching for a 69-70 clutch pedal set and cross member for the top loader 4 speed at a reasonable price, "hint". That said; The name of the partner of Carroll Shelby in Mexico is Eduardo Valazquez Chavez. A good site to visit is www.drndns.org then read The Saga of Shelby de Mexico. It's very interesting. God bless all, MrD2

Hey opinions are what forums are all about and we need them all. I guess I just thought saying that someone elses idea was not cool or would look gay is a tad of a harsh one.