Sign in to follow this  
coz

Rear Seat upholstery....

I'm about to start replacing my interior and am good with doing the front seats but the back seat - not so much....

If you have done your rear seat, what did you use for padding? I can not find foam for back seats so I think I will have an upholstery shop do the back seat. Also, any good books or manuals for removing the back seat (fold down style)? Any gotchas I should know about?

Thanks,

COZ

I went over to the local Keyston Brothers upholstry supply store and had them cut two planks of dense foam for me about 3 inches thick and the correct measurments for my seat and back.. Took them home and trimmed the foam to fit by sitting the seat frame on upside down on the plank and tracing it with a sharpie.. And then used a butcher knife to cut the foam. Trimmed it around corners and such.. Then fitted it and hog ringed it to the seat frame.

I got two different types of foam, the seat bottom with a little tougher than the seat back, but it worked out well. Get some burlap while you are there and some spring board to put on under the burlap, its the little wires that run between the springs. You can buy it by the plank and then trim to fit and just bend the wires where you cut them.

It cost me about 70 bucks for the parts.. The foam was a little expensive, but it worked great. Just remember not to cut too much off of the plank when trimming..

I did simillar but I took the budget way. My covers were in great shape but the internals were lacking. I reused and shaped the foam from an old baby crib mattress (the density was perfect) and I got the burlap from free potato sacks at the grocery store.

What's the trick to doing the front buckets??? I've been working on a driver's seat all winter because I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a hog-ring around the upholstery wire, thru the bun, and around the frame wire!!!! I invariably miss one of the wires, or the ring falls out of the pliers. I've got about 4 rings in place, but every time I try to finish the circuit, I get frustrated and quit. I'm about ready to hire an upholsterer to finish the fronts.

I have the usual how-to books and videos, I just can't seem to do it. My upholstery and buns are new.

Anybody successfully done their own?? Am I just lame? The back seat looks much easier, and I think I can manage them. My car is mechanically done, I just need to fininsh the interior and paint and I'm on the road but the buckets are frustrating the crap out of me.

BTW, Pak, you can buy new burlap cheap at JoAnn's fabrics.

What's the trick to doing the front buckets??? I've been working on a driver's seat all winter because I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a hog-ring around the upholstery wire, thru the bun, and around the frame wire!!!! I invariably miss one of the wires, or the ring falls out of the pliers. I've got about 4 rings in place, but every time I try to finish the circuit, I get frustrated and quit. I'm about ready to hire an upholsterer to finish the fronts.

I have the usual how-to books and videos, I just can't seem to do it. My upholstery and buns are new.

Anybody successfully done their own?? Am I just lame? The back seat looks much easier, and I think I can manage them. My car is mechanically done, I just need to fininsh the interior and paint and I'm on the road but the buckets are frustrating the crap out of me.

BTW, Pak, you can buy new burlap cheap at JoAnn's fabrics.

Raven,

Youve got it wrong.. There should be two wires on your seat bun. One wire goes through the seat cover and gets hog ringed down in the crack to the second wire that is directly opposite of it on the under side of the seat foam. Like a wire/foam sandwich. You ring it together and then ring the bottom wire to the seat springs/frame..

You probably didnt have the original seats when you pulled yours apart, but mine did and still had all of the original wires and springs and everything so I just paid attention to how I pulled it apart.. The seat backs are the same way. If you dont have the wires you can pick up a roll of it at an upholstry store or just use some old coat hangers..

You just need to get the cover onto the foam nice and straight first.

I just finished my back seats. I used a double layer of burlap, a layer of jute felt and two layers of one inch cotton batting. I did a a little extra cotton in some places that need a little moore padding. It was a pretty easy job. Now the fronts are giving me a fit. I bought new seat buns and it just seems like they are too big for the TMI covers.

Raven,

Youve got it wrong.. There should be two wires on your seat bun. One wire goes through the seat cover and gets hog ringed down in the crack to the second wire that is directly opposite of it on the under side of the seat foam. Like a wire/foam sandwich. You ring it together and then ring the bottom wire to the seat springs/frame..

Oh, wow! So you put the seat cover on the bun, then put that on the frame!!! I put the bottom wire on the frame frist, now I'm trying to hog ring the seat cover + bun to the bottom wire! All my how-to stuff says do it that way, but your way sounds easier.

Yea, I tried it out that way and it seemed to be a pain in the but, so I just aligned everthing as best as I could and sandwiched it.. It worked out great..

I got my covers from mustangs unlimited and they were pretty tight over the mustangs unlimited foam too.. but I made a mistake and bought two different front seat foams, thinking they would be the same thing from different vendors.. either way the passenger seat looks better, but the drivers seat is a tighter fit.. oh well..

Yea, I tried it out that way and it seemed to be a pain in the but, so I just aligned everthing as best as I could and sandwiched it.. It worked out great..

I got my covers from mustangs unlimited and they were pretty tight over the mustangs unlimited foam too.. but I made a mistake and bought two different front seat foams, thinking they would be the same thing from different vendors.. either way the passenger seat looks better, but the drivers seat is a tighter fit.. oh well..

The drivers seat will likely see more ass time anyway so it will compress down first and probably be a prefect match within a few years instead of looking saggy and baggy.