Sign in to follow this  
jerry69

Securing The Grill

I finally got my 69 back on the road, I noticed the whole front grill rattles pretty bad. When I looked at how it was secured the old owner used those plastic push anchors so there's a lot of play. What was used by the factory to secure the grill?

Was there any felt washers used and maybe those (I call them) C clips that push sideways into the hole and allow a sheet metal screw to be screwed in and secured...

I just hate a car that squeeks and rattles....

I ended up going to my local Lowes hardware store and in the nuts and bolt section they carry body fender clips etc... I ended up using the push in type that also has a philips head push in pin to expand the clip. I'm sure the auto part stores also have them... Total cost - 5x.68 or $3.40

Tight fit, no rattle or play at all!

OK great answers, that's the word I was thinking of is fender clips, I know the push-in type your talking about. Our Ace hardware caries a lot of automotive parts, such as those and springs etc... I'll run down and grab some of those... Thanks for all the replies... That rattle from the grill was worse in the wind than a babies rattle...

Jerry69

Push pins are what was used to fasten the grill to the car. NPD or Virginia Mustang has the correct pins. I put a new grill in last year and bought the push pins from the above vendors. The grill does not move. It is a tight fit.

JAG