Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

Question for those familliar with 65's as well.

I'm not as familliar with these older models as the 69' and trying to help a buddy out on his car. We are finding all kinds of previous owner decisions that have us scratching our heads. His parking brake never really has worked right and we aren't sure how to fix it or what is even incorrect. We just pulled out what looks like a rebuilt Dana 4 speed and you can see by this pic the old exhaust is a hand fabbed oddity that wasn't even the same size as the reducers to the headers so it's all filled up with welds.

Anyway, this is pretty much how the bracket was positioned before we removed it and I don't know if this a hand fabbed part too or how it supposed to be or what. The exhaust is being replaced with a new Magnflow 2.5" SS system but the 4speed is going back and we'd like to just fix this brake issue while we are at it if we can. Not sure if it matters but this car was a 6cyl automatic originally, actually the front clip is from a 66 as well, it's got all kind of issues that are being unraveled. I know he asked for my help but I'm not sure yet if he's now happy or miserable at what I've been bringing to his attention, lol.

Pak,

I have a 66 6 cyl automatic. It is in storage for the winter right now, but I will try to get under it and get you some pictures of the parking brake and how it all hooks up. Should have some pictures by the weekend!

On a 65-66 there is a lever that pivots on the trans x-member that works the e-brake.. The one you have there in the pic is all wrong and looks like a home made part or something. 65 and 66 use a hand brake with a short cable that goes to the end of the lever on the x-member. Then the two cables from the rear connect to a part like your holding and then to the middle of the lever with a threaded adjustment rod. I think the idea behind the design is the amount of force needed to apply the e-brake is more than you can get with a hand brake, so the lever (remember scince class?) works to help pull the cables with more leverage. Anyway they don't work very good to start with and that's why they went to a foot e-brake. If they put in a Dana?? 4 speed they probably made a x-member with no thought to the e-brake.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Yeah and that's what I figured the main problem was, too much was make shift for the 4spd transplant, your explanation helps alot, thanks Slime. I think I am still going to need to see a completed set up though to get it right or figure out what parts we need and where they go. Will the lever to the x member that acts like a fulcrum be the same for any stock trans? I'm sure regardless that it's going to need modding for this tranny anyway.

Any pics you can provide would be awesome 3must, thanks in advance.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before but I found a pretty good article at MM on it with diagrams and pics that help me envision what you were describing. I defintely think the culprit was the crossmember, I'll have to look at it again but I don't think it had a bracket to connect to for leverage, probably why it barely worked at all to begin with.

Does anyone know how to figure out what year and month an online article is actually from? I didn't see any real indication on this one and I have all the issues back 10 years at least. I did see they mention the 05-07 models and I see in the link where it says 0703 so I'm thinking maybe it is March 2007?!?!??!? Unfortunately I won't be home until tomorrow night to try and verify that hunch.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0703_mustang_emergency_brake_repair/index.html

Pak,

Looks like between SlimeGold and the article you found you pretty much have this figured out, but here are a couple pictures of my 66 to help see how it all hooks up.

Hey thanks man, I really appreciate you going thru the trouble and getting under the car, you can never have too many reference pics in my book. I'm sure we'll get it straightened out this weekend now and hopefully on Saturday so I can call in my favor owed on Sunday and have him give me hand installing my convertible top frame.:shifty: