Sign in to follow this  
simplyj

frame rail rust - patch or replace?

just got done replacing my driver's side frame rail and now moved on to the passenger side to replace the shock tower and inner fender panels. I thought the frame was solid but looky what I found lurking under the shock tower. (the towers had previously been tied into the frame rail with a metal patch sort of like the boss 302 mod or whatever that is so I couldn't see this frame area).

3162956007_24058e82eb_o.jpg

3162956013_3486d38473_o.jpg

I'd really like to avoid replacing the entire rail as I just got done replacing that on the driver's side and it was a major PITA. Still have to replace the torque box and floor pan rail on that side... so the idea of even more surgery is killing me. I'm thinking I can get away with just a patch but would like to get some 2nd opinions.

Thanks,

Jason

I'm no rust expert because it's not an issue in my area but I'm a welder. as long as you can get past the rust area and patch it in I see no reason why not. looks like if you replace the bottom and finsh what you were doing it should be fine in my opinion.

Looks great, probably a lot of cars with rust there and nobody even knows it .

My hat's off to you guys who can make a great car dealing with the rust, I see guys fixing things most of us west coast guys wouldn't even know where to start on.

While its apart did you look down inside to look for other rust? May be worth whole to see if you can see anything now rather than later after it cracks... May be worth drilling a hole or two to get a look inside before you put the car back together, if all is well you can jsut patch the holes. That area is a bad area for rust but there could be more, you shold have a good look before you button it all up.

Dan