Sign in to follow this  
69Heretic

69 Coupe pro touring project

Just started working on my 69 Coupe a few weeks back so figured what better place to introduce myself then the projects forum! This will be my second mustang too restore, my first was a 69 Mach 1 that was all original. This time around, I want a modified car with a modern feel. So here are some pictures of when I bought it.

looks good, is that an original Indian Fire Red car? fairly uncommon color in 69, and not one seen very often on a coupe either, not sure what the numbers are for an indian fire coupe but i would guess there weren't a whole hell of a lot of 'em

i noticed the plates on the car are from Texas, are you actually in Texas too?

Well the engine is pulled out and was sold along with the transmission locally to someone going to install it into a 76 Mustang cobra. I also bought some seats from craigslist that I think will work well. I took the dash and most everything else from the seats forward out of the car. Has anyone seen any good DYI wiring kits that have a newer style fuse block? I would guess that half the wires in the car wont be used anymore so I would like to elimiate them and upgrade to bladed fuses.

Bnickel, good eye! Yes the car was Indian fire red and was also from Texes. The last owner of it moved from Texes to Oklahoma and that is where I picked it up from. Currently I live around the Kansas city area. Because of being in texes the car is mostly rust free. It does have some rust in the floor boards and also has an issue with the drivers side quarter panel. Right now i want to work on getting the car drivable then finish the body work.

Go with a Ron Francis Wiring harness.. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and after reading through the installation manual and it seems pretty straight forward and simple enough to have done in a few hours.. It came with the correct plugs for alternator and extra head light sockets for the two high beams. You have to re-use the tail light pig tails though..

Go with a Ron Francis Wiring harness.. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and after reading through the installation manual and it seems pretty straight forward and simple enough to have done in a few hours.. It came with the correct plugs for alternator and extra head light sockets for the two high beams. You have to re-use the tail light pig tails though..

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but Im looking at re-doing my wireharness as well. If you don't mind, Boogerschnot, could you answer me a few questions ?

How hard was the harness to install ? Did you use the RETRO Series kit they have ? What about all the instrument panel connections ?

Thanks !!

Ken

With the holidays and the cold I have not done a lot to the car. Here are some updated photos of where I am now. As you can see I have cut the shock towers out and am working on cutting off all the supension mount points. Although I have not gotten much done on the car itself I have been reading several supension books looking for improvements over the stock design. I have also included some pictures of the supension I am going to install.

Here are some pictures of the motor and trans, I wanted fuel injection and overdrive. I ended up finding a wreaked 99 TA for cheap so I bought it and parted it out keeping the LS1 and T56. I wanted to get a ford power plant but dont want to spend a ton of money on the car. On the rear I am looking for a cheap 8.8 to replace my 8". For rear supension I want to remove the leaf springs and replace with a triangulated 4 link or a 3 link. Still not 100% sure which one I want to build.

Here are some pictures of the motor and trans, I wanted fuel injection and overdrive. I ended up finding a wreaked 99 TA for cheap so I bought it and parted it out keeping the LS1 and T56. I wanted to get a ford power plant but dont want to spend a ton of money on the car. On the rear I am looking for a cheap 8.8 to replace my 8". For rear supension I want to remove the leaf springs and replace with a triangulated 4 link or a 3 link. Still not 100% sure which one I want to build.

Wow...um.....wow. I don't bash but....wow:huh:. I don't know what to say. I had an '01 T/A and that is definately a good choice for a GM but I just can't get myself to say I like it. I don't. but I'm entitled to my opinion just as your entitled to put the into you car. I just wish you'd select a Ford power plant. To each his own i suppose.

Wow...um.....wow. I don't bash but....wow:huh:. I don't know what to say. I had an '01 T/A and that is definately a good choice for a GM but I just can't get myself to say I like it. I don't. but I'm entitled to my opinion just as your entitled to put the into you car. I just wish you'd select a Ford power plant. To each his own i suppose.

Thanks for not bashing, I am expecting some.... The main reason I did not go with Ford is the performance/price ratio. I would like 450+ NA HP from a modern motor and the new 4.6 just does not have the cubes to achieve this without spending a lot of money. After parting out the T/A I am under 2K for the motor/trans and still have some parts to sell. Its going to cost me about 1800 more (heads/intake/TB/cam) and the LS1 should hit 450. If I did not have a budget I would put a blown 4.6 in it, but that would cost me more than the 3.8K I will have in the whole package.

Neat project, I toyed with the idea of an LSx based engine for my car. Can't beat the power/$, plus they are very efficient engines, should be able to get some really good mileage in the car (when not on the gas). In the end though I decided to keep the car a Ford power plant and got a 03 Cobra engine for it.