Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Parting out vs. selling outright vs. ???

Am interested in opinions on how to make best use of my Coupe "parts car".

It has served its purpose: I've taken everything I needed from it to build up the father-son-mobile while providing a template for putting stuff back together. It has been invaluable for that latter purpose...saving me lots of hours of frustration.

But now it's time to get it out of my driveway. My question to y'all:

Should I just try to sell this to someone outright or part it out to folks building up their own projects?

Some quick facts:

It has a "salvage" title history, hence resale will probably be bad.

The roof was gone due to rust under the vinyl top. I crafted a fiberglass replacement roof. It looks like hell, but it works. I didn't want to spend the money on a vinyl top, but it would cover up my handywork.

The 302 2V, C4 tranny runs fine. Starts, idles, runs cool, and drives. I've repaired all the rust issues. Single, crappy exhaust.

It's a whole car, but most panels have an odd ding and dong here and there. It just needs a real body man (and he I am not) to make them perfect. No major body work, however.

Electrically, it's perfect, though I've stolen the light fixtures.

If it were you, would you put it up for sale or what?

I'm really interested in the ideas here. I think it'd be poetic justice if I could sell some of the more useful parts to folks here that have helped me at a very fair price.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

Oh, and this is the car in question:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff#5172921627988976546

Edited by foothilltom

Hello,

Here's my thoughts...

Really depends on how long you want the car and/or parts sitting around.

Unless you are parting at dirt cheap prices you will be holding on to things and have to store them.

You could probably sell it outright but based on the roof and title don't expect a major amount of cash, but I have been known to be wrong.

Best scenario is you part out everything you can with in a set amount of time and at the end of that time you try to sell whats left as a parts car, sell it to a local junk yard (Pick-n-Pull?) or you can scrap it for a tiny bit of cash.

So if you decide to part it let me know since you may have some items I am interested in :shifty:

Marc Cramer

Basicly what cramer said. If the roof is complety shot I would strip it down to a shell. If you have a place to store parts I would ebay all the smaller parts and list the motor, trans, doors, fenders, hood, ect local on craigslist or the like. People are always looking for classic Mustang parts. If the body parts are solid with not much rust or big dents, you will sell them. Plus if you plan on keeping your project car around, alot of the small parts will come in handy if you want to hang on to some stuff. I don't think the car as a whole would bring good money, I would say it will bring more in parts. If the shell has NICE frame rails, floors and towers someone might want it to do a fastback or vert conversion on. So you may get lucky and sell the shell seperate from the parts and come out way ahead rather than sell the car as a whole. But all this will take time and storage space so it's really up to you.