Sign in to follow this  
flight96

Suspension/Steering Replacement

So Im at the point where I am considering replacing the front suspension/steering. I have a few questions before I make up my mind....

1. Is this something someone can do himself ?

2. What kind of cost should I expect ?

3. Where is a good supplier ?

4.There are a few kits on ebay, are they any good or should I just buy the parts separately???

Sooooo many questions..........:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

So Im at the point where I am considering replacing the front suspension/steering. I have a few questions before I make up my mind....

1. Is this something someone can do himself ?

2. What kind of cost should I expect ?

3. Where is a good supplier ?

4.There are a few kits on ebay, are they any good or should I just buy the parts separately???

Sooooo many questions..........:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Front suspension and steering are two different and seperate items.

I have gone R&P with Randall's Rack! As little as I have driven it - WOW, it's like a neww car and for ~$2k a definite improvement.

The front suspension and control arms are in my mind another different item all together that until I find the limits of the R&P I'm not touching the other suspension components.

hope this helps ya.............

I replaced front and back suspension components at the same time. I bought the Super Starter Kit from Mustangs Plus for about $1,100. delivered. I am very satisfied with their components.

Yes, you can do it yourself. There are enough How To articles in the Mustang Monthly and other sources that show you how to remove suspension, coil springs, etc. I went to the local Harbor Freight and bought a ball joint remover tool and you can usually borrow a coil spring compressor from your local discount auto parts store at no cost. If not, you can buy one for about $40.00. It really isn't that hard, just take your time and take lots of digital pictures of your removal process in case you forget how something goes back together.

Talk with John at http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/index.html

Can't say enough about his roller spring perches. He won't over sale you on stuff that you don't need just to make a buck. He knows these suspensions inside out.

i second that motion. i have Opentracker roller spring perches on my car and i love them. they have made the front suspension work so much better, even with my extra heavy duty 750 lb. front springs. the front suspension no longer wants to dart around over heavy bumps and pot holes, man hole cover and railroad tracks no longer make me cringe either. the suspension does what is supposed to do now since the roller bearings in the perches allow them to rotate much easier and the shocks actually absorb bumps now. dollar for dollar this is the best improvement you can do to the front suspension of your car along with a larger front sway bar.

my car still has rubber bushings everywhere except for the sway bar bushings and end links which are poly. i feel no immediate need to convert the front suspension over to poly bushings in the other locations.

Interesting! I thought the roller perches were best used when you lowered the front A arms one inch to prevent suspension bind. At least thats what i gathered from reading about the perches on John's web site. So, even on a non Shelby lowered front suspension, these work great? I have the Grab a Trak front suspension but need to cut half a coil on springs to lower the car maybe one inch or so and also install the one inch lowering blocks on the mid eye rear springs. Do you really think the roller perches would be a noticable improvement on a street driven stang?

Interesting! I thought the roller perches were best used when you lowered the front A arms one inch to prevent suspension bind. At least thats what i gathered from reading about the perches on John's web site. So, even on a non Shelby lowered front suspension, these work great? I have the Grab a Trak front suspension but need to cut half a coil on springs to lower the car maybe one inch or so and also install the one inch lowering blocks on the mid eye rear springs. Do you really think the roller perches would be a noticable improvement on a street driven stang?

my car doesn't no have the shelby drop and it gets driven ONLY on the street. yes they make a noticeable improvement in the way the car feels, handles and drives on the street. i'll never run anything other than roller perches on any car i ever own with this type of suspension. i plan on doing coil overs on the cougar but if i ever find a nice ranchero project to use as a DD it will definitely get the roller perches.

when you order them be sure to tell John that i sent you. :biggrin:

Hey what about me, I guess I'm the redheaded step child. :whistling::001_tt2:

:biggrin:

What do you guys think of this kit ? It seems to be a reasonable price for front and rear suspension.

Please give me your opinions !!

Thanks!

i'd check with John at Opentracker and see what kind of price he can give you on a complete setup, you might be surprised how close he come to that price.

i'd check with John at Opentracker and see what kind of price he can give you on a complete setup, you might be surprised how close he come to that price.

+1 on what bnickel said. One thing to note those shocks if I remember correctly from talking to John will make the car ride rough. He has said that

the KYB's are good for the front and the Grab-a-trac shocks for the rear. But I would really recommend that you give him a call.

Here is their price quote......

1" drop template - Free

17/32 drill bit - Free

1/4" Poly coil spring insulators - $20

560 1" drop coil springs - $90

1 1/8" front sway bar kit - $110

Street Upper arms - $199

Street Lower arms - $140 (USA made Moog arms)

Roller spring perches - $188 (eaby price)

Strut rod bushings - $30

Steering kit with roller idler arm - $250 M/S $265 P/S (All USA made Moog parts)

KYB Front shocks - $80

Grab-A-Track rear shocks - $56 - If you need all 4 shocks

So the total looks to be $ 1178.00(US) plus shipping. Then I have to take into account the Can. $$ is in the toilet so thats another 20% ($235+), so now Im up to $ 1400+...And then there's shipping.......:surrender:

So.....It looks close to 2 grand by the time its all done !!! YIKES !!

I replaced the front and rear suspension and steering this past winter. I went with all aftermarket stuff.

Front:

Global West Tubular UCA's $580

GW Tubular LCA's $380

Dazecars Roller Spring perches $180

Rosehill Performance Adjustable Strut Rods $200

KYB GR2 Shocks $44

TRW Poly Sway Bar Bushings $20

Mustangs Plus 620lb 1" lowering springs $90

Global West Solid Tie Rod Sleeves $45

Rear:

Mustangs Plus 5-Leaf Reverse Eye Springs $220

KYB GR2 Shocks ~$40

Global West Rear Shackle Kit $200

Steering:

Flaming River Steering Gearbox $400

Opentracker Roller Idler Arm $90

Inner/Outer Tie Rods $I can't remember, but they were under $100 for everything

Power Steering Switch $125 from a friend, they're about $150 from Autozone

I'm pretty happy with everything. My power steering valve needs to be adjusted but everything is damn solid. It was a lot of money and probably overkill but the difference in driving is well worth it. I am still considering upgrading to R&P if I decide to keep the car, and may even go with a 3-link in the back.

Here is their price quote......

1" drop template - Free

17/32 drill bit - Free

1/4" Poly coil spring insulators - $20

560 1" drop coil springs - $90

1 1/8" front sway bar kit - $110

Street Upper arms - $199

Street Lower arms - $140 (USA made Moog arms)

Roller spring perches - $188 (eaby price)

Strut rod bushings - $30

Steering kit with roller idler arm - $250 M/S $265 P/S (All USA made Moog parts)

KYB Front shocks - $80

Grab-A-Track rear shocks - $56 - If you need all 4 shocks

So the total looks to be $ 1178.00(US) plus shipping.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but we just got a '69 and I was looking around. We ship to Canada a lot. If you put "classic car replacement parts" on the tag, there is no duty to Canada. Several other country's are like that.

We use USPS flat rate boxes. All of those parts will fit in three flat rate boxes at $27ea.(est. they change the prices). The coil springs and sway bar would have to be shipped on thier own or together, we send them slow-regular mail unless there is a rush. Still, there would be no duty charge and the shipping isn't that bad. We use the best shipping available. We send a LOT of roller kit's to OZ this way. Those guy's are way-into the old Fords.

I can get cheaper suspension parts but they are not made in the US.

We can match most prices for the same off-shore parts if you want them.

John

Well I ordered the R&P today from Randalls. He gave me a great deal and he seems like a good guy to deal with. If anyone has any advise on the install I would greatly appreciate it.

Im wondering if I should wait for the R&P before I replace the suspension (UCA/LCA, springs, shocks ect....) ?