Sign in to follow this  
PaleRider

Tips on Chasing Turn SIgnal/Parking Light Short

Have a 70 Mach1. Left front turn signal works w/o headlights. When headlights are turned on left light on scoop lights up and left dash turnsignal indicator stays constant. Turn on left signal and hood scoop blinks correctly all parking lights/signals work correctly except front left which does nothing - no blinking or light. Just started last night - changed bulb and receptacle -little corroded with age - same problem. Any suggestions? :helpsmilie:

I had a similar problem, though I swear it's a blur as I had so many electrical problems at the same time. I recall this:

My RH turn signal indicator and RH turn signal light would stay lit when the switch was pulled to parking lamp position. Both would go out with the switch in the 2nd (full) position. Putting the turn lever to the RH position would cause it to blink. It was odd.

I recall separating the double-connector to the parking lamp and to the harness. It has a blue-white wire that controls the hood turn signal lamp. I wanted to be sure I didn't have it backwards. During that time, I cleaned the contacts and put everything back together. I know you'll hate this, but everything worked after that. So, I either had the connector on backwards or just dumb-blind luck finally hit me.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I did have a similar problem.

Tom

Also make sure you've got the correct 1157 bulb (two filaments and two contacts on the bottom) and not 1156 (one filament/one contact). And that a previous owner didnt' replace the 2-contact socket with an incorrect 1-contact one. This applies to both front and rear turn signals.