Sign in to follow this  
Legion

Floor Pan Question

A question for those of you who have replaced your floor pans. Did you...

1. Stitch weld and then seam seal.

or

2. Complete seam weld.

Is there a preferred way or is it totally personal preference?

BTW...got gas for $2.09 today...just about filled my pants...:shit:

I might get ripped on for this, but I cut out my old one leaving good metal on the outside, and used this automotive epoxy crap and just glued it in from the top. I then sealed everything form the bottom of the car and top and I haven't had any issues, it's been about 3 years. I did this because I don't have a welder and saw no reason why this way would cause any problems.

what part of the floor plan are you replacing? there are several welding methods. i would recommend using plug welds (or rosette) on places where the factory used a spot welder. i generally butt weld metal together in places where it wasn't originally a factory joint or seam. many people will flange the metal and weld the entire seam. butt welds generally take more time though.

Thanks for the reply, I'll actually complete the remaining welds today. I've replaced the entire pans, including toe board and rear seat. I'm using rosette welds where the factory spot welds are and have been butt welding the floor pans in...and yes it does take much longer but will look cleaner when finished. If I finish welding today I'll probably do some clean up on the welds and then start replacing the entire cowl.

I've contacted about every place I can find and no one is producing the side cowl/kick panel for the '69. Both of mine are shot. There's a metal fabricator around the corner from my office that I've used before, they produce all kinds of parts for the Mini-Cooper (luggage racks, etc). I'm going to remove mine and see if they can reproduce the panel.