Sign in to follow this  
Topless69GT

69 GT Convertible - advice

I am thinking about selling my 69 GT Convertible. It is in mid restoration and I am either going to have to put it in storage or sell it. I fear that I won't get out of it what I need at this point to make selling it an option. The car is in fantastic shape. It is well optioned and is a true GT. Options: GT equipment group, A/C, FMX, trac-lok, clock, visibility group, pdb-front, PS, AM/FM (missing), interior decor group, tinted glass and front bumper guards. Originally Royal Maroon with black top and interior. The car has had a complete tear down and body work. It had acapulco blue paint applied several months ago. The paint and body work is awsome on this car. Engine is rebuilt and ready to go in. Things that are needed: FMX transmission, Drivers seat frame since the current one is bent, upholstery, carpet, dash pad and interior door panels. Assembly and a little TLC. A local mustang restoration shop quoted me 10K max to finish the car. I feel the car would be worth 40K + or so when complete. Open to realistic offers. This maybe the only time this car is for sale. Once it goes into storage it will sit until I can finish it.

Good luck with the sale. I've just started my Vert rebuild. It's not a cheap venture. I don't think most people realize what's involved in restoring these cars. Hopefully you can find a way to keep it. Again, Good Luck !!

Well, if you haven't already you should really post this in the wanted/for sale section, not project progress, to get a wider audience.

A finished car will obviously bring in more money but of course the current economy is against you. You really need to factor in how long you would have to store it before you can begin to finish it and what that is going to cost you in the long run and probably subtract the figure from what you actually have invested in it and cut your losses.

Good Luck!

I did not put it in the for sale section just yet. I am really trying to figure out what to do with it. I really do not want to get rid of it but I am not sure what is going on with the economy and my profession has been hit hard. I think I may have had too much wine this evening as I am looking at selling the 69 and buying a 79 Pace Car and paying off everything I owe other than the house. I have loved the 79 pace car since I got hit by one while riding my bike in 79. Actually I ran into the passenger door as it was going by. If the damn thing had more HP it would have cleared before I came through the intersection. The thought of selling the car started with my $10,000 + Tax bill to the IRS last week and $2400 to the state of Indiana after paying estimated taxes all year. I worked my butt off last year to make more money and ended up netting less money due to taxes. So I used my remaining Mustang money. I don't mind doing my part but Damn! I am trying to wait to officially put it up for sale until I am not so pissed off.

i had a 69 alcopulco blue fact GT convert years ago and sold it to buy a house,i would like another to keep this time! do you have any up to date pics to send me ? and what do you think is a fare price for it being un-finished ? any rust repairs ? Jim stang@coolmustangs.com

it's not a vert but my 69 GT coupe is for sale right now, asking $26,000 but open to offers.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt

this was my first car, i've owned it since 1984 and i too am selling it to buy a house and also restore the 69 cougar i bought a while back to replace the GT once it's sold. this car is basically new from stem to stern. theres hardly a piece or part that wasn't touched during the restoration.

it does have a small rust spot coming in just above the rocker panel on the passenger side 1/4 panel in front of the wheel well but that is all the rust on the car.

Keep in mind. the 69 will not go down in value. It will only go up. If I were you, I would try my best to keep the 69 as long as possible. Collectible cars are one on the few items that never seem to get hit too hard in bad economic times. It is true that we may put more money into these money pits than we get out of them when we sell...But that's just because we love the cars so much....Just my opinion...Again, GOOD LUCK !!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am going to store the car and see where the ecomomy is in the spring. :001_unsure: It is my dream car and I fear that if I sell it and then things get better I will be looking to buy another one anyhow. This one has been done exactly the way I want it and it won't cost much to store it for 6 months or so. At least I don't owe anyone or anything on the car. The only problem is now I have found a really good deal on a 79 Pace Car and I really hate to pass it up. I know I know it is a 79 Pace car and I am in the minority but I love that car! I live within 20 minutes of the track and go to the 500 every year and would love to have it to drive to the race etc... Oh well I am passing on it... Again thank you to everyone on the great advice. I really appreciate the help.

Hey a 69 convertible guy who loves the 79 pace car, if you like the SVO as well, then maybe we were separated at birth.

I have a 69 vert that I am building, and always have my eyes open for a 79 pace car ever since my cousin owned one. Having an SVO would really complete my coral.

Bill from Ottawa