Sign in to follow this  
mcode

installin a tremec tko

I would like to know if i can install a tremec tko in 1970 mustang mach 1 with original fmx auto without cutting up the console and maintaining the correct driveline angle. Simply put has anyone out there done the co--nversion with a stock tko --not the keisler i think they have different top covers-----. I do not want to hit the floorpan hump. thanks

Can't answer the stock question other than I've heard every TKO install requires some tunnel "massaging". I installed the KEISLER Tremec TKO 600 package and there was some cutting required to meet the <4* driveline angle. I did not need to cut up my console at all but did need to widen the shifter hole some which made me move the console back a inch or two. I've since replaced the stock console with a HumpHugger. It also fits nicely around the shifter.

thanks for the reply coz. According to moderndriveline web page they say there is no fitment issues on the 69 to 73 cars. Now i am more confused. Coz what tyranny crossmeber did you use. Also no one out there other than coz haas done this conversion?

thanks for the reply coz. According to moderndriveline web page they say there is no fitment issues on the 69 to 73 cars. Now i am more confused. Coz what tyranny crossmeber did you use. Also no one out there other than coz haas done this conversion?

I forgot to add in my post I bought a package from Keisler.

Keisler supplied the cross member - very beefy/powered coated....

No fitment issues does NOT mean no mods required. Just means you can eventually get it to fit.

Old cars and modern parts equal NEFF Nothing Ever F'ing Fits.....

Don't sweat it to much - you can get it to work and the results are very nice. I would suggest the .82 final gear. I have the .64 final and find it tough to put into 5th without going at least 70mph. Otherwise I run below 2k rpm and the Cleveland doesn't like that low of an rpm.

There are a lot of us out there with the TKO / T56 conversion. Most have some issues but nothing too significant.

I fitted a TKO600.82 to my mach 1 and yes it wont fit without some massaging and i also wanted to keep my consul. so i worked the tunnel up the minimum amount and also had to open up the shift opening a little on one side i also modified the tunnel bracing just i front to give more clearance thinned the profile then boxed it to make it stronger. i also bought a crossmember thinking it would be easier but it made the motor angle wrong and took up the space that i wanted for the 3.5" collectors so i fabricated my own. if i was to do again i would lower the motor first with the front engine mounts that are available i also went for the .82 overdrive because of not as many revs to drop off the cam. i have some pics somewhere i do have one of the inside for sure.

i forgot to say that in the end it is better driving with the TREMEC than the toploader i went for the 600 bcause of horsepower rating i think the TKO3550 is smaller ? but not that much in $ and has different ratios

i forgot to say that in the end it is better driving with the TREMEC than the toploader i went for the 600 bcause of horsepower rating i think the TKO3550 is smaller ? but not that much in $ and has different ratios

I converted my 3550 into a TKO. The tail shaft housing is different as the output shaft is larger. The input shaft has 26 splines but uses the same sleeve as the 10 spline 3550. Most of what changes are the stronger gears. I have the .64 5th gear, and I like it. It allows the revs to drop on the freeway quite a bit with my 3.70 rear gears. Plus my engine has enough torque that I don't mind if the revs drop a bit.

I had to open up the hole in the tunnel and I modified the top cover in much the same way as Keisler does in order to keep the driveline angle stock. I'm using a Pro 5.0 shifter. I have to disassemble the shifter and install the bottom part on the trans before installing them together. Once bolted up, I install the shifter mechanism in the lower part of the shifter housing. It's a pain bolting the handle on under the console, but I've become pretty good at now.

I didn't have to massage the tunnel at all with my Modern Driveline/TKO600 kit. I'll have to get you my driveline angle (car is away getting the new rear installed) but I have had no issues with vibration at all and no problems at all with my ancient, original 8" rear pushing 275 rubber back there, albeit from a tired old 302-2bbl. Maybe there's too much angle, and maybe my driveshaft is spinning slower - a 5 speed/.64 OD and a 2.79 rear - but it. just. works.