Sign in to follow this  
Juice It

MSD ignition

Is there a big benefit to changing to a newer ignition like an MSD and what exactly do they do over the stock unit I now have? I thought they just helped the car fire a little faster but a quick look at their site and I see a ton of different ones. Can anyone describe to me in laymans terms the benefits, negatives?

Thanks,

Jeff

If your stock distributor and coil are in good shape, the Pertronix system is hard to beat. For less than $100 bucks you get virtually maintenance-free electronic ignition. If you're building a street machine or resto-mod, and you don't care about appearances, then a full-blown aftermarket ignition system may work better for you. I'm probably more of a purist, keep-it-stock kind of guy than most who post here, and I went with Pertronix without hesitation.

Bottom line, if you're a concours, show points kind of guy, keep it stock.

If you're building a daily driver/weekend cruiser, do a Pertronix upgrade at a minimum.

If you're going high-performance, look into the higher-end stuff.

My 2 cents.

Also offers a rev limiter..... I have the MSD setup with an AL-6 box, Blaser II coil and MSD dizzy. Works well. Only drawback for me is the height of the dizzy in relation to the shaker scoop.

MSD's website will list the dizzy's available for a 351W. They even offer ones where the rev limiter is built in.

Also offers a rev limiter..... I have the MSD setup with an AL-6 box, Blaser II coil and MSD dizzy. Works well. Only drawback for me is the height of the dizzy in relation to the shaker scoop.

MSD's website will list the dizzy's available for a 351W. They even offer ones where the rev limiter is built in.

Since I am a newbie to the muscle car world this post is Greek to me. What is a dizzy and what does it do? Bottom line for me is my car starts ok, some times it takes 2 tries but seems to run fine. Would I benefit from any MSD or similar products or leave well enough alone.

Thanks,

Dizzy = distributor... the thing in the front of the engine with the eight little wires coming out of it going to those little sparky things.... the ninth wire is explained below...

AL-6 - A MSD model number for one of their popular ignition boxes

Blaster II coil - nothing special here - just the coil (the 9th little wire goes here).

rev limiter - a chip or other device that stops you from blowing up the engine by over-revving the engine.