Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Identifying a C6 vs. C4 Transmission

Howdy gents,

According to the door tag of my 69 coupe, I have a C6 3-speed tranny. However, when I bought a transmission filter for it, the size/shape wasn't even in the ballpark. So my stupid question for today is: how does one most easily determine what transmission one has?

The pan of my transmission is rectangular...almost square. The gasket/filter that doesn't fit seems to have an odd, non-rectangular shape.

I wanted to know the score before I went back to my parts store.

Thanks VERY much for any advice/info.

Tom

Howdy gents,

According to the door tag of my 69 coupe, I have a C6 3-speed tranny. However, when I bought a transmission filter for it, the size/shape wasn't even in the ballpark. So my stupid question for today is: how does one most easily determine what transmission one has?

The pan of my transmission is rectangular...almost square. The gasket/filter that doesn't fit seems to have an odd, non-rectangular shape.

I wanted to know the score before I went back to my parts store.

Thanks VERY much for any advice/info.

Tom

Does it ever help!

Thanks very, very much. Just returned the C6 filter/gasket for the correct one. And, I also managed to mis-read the door code 8 months ago when I bought this little project. It was always a C4 but I just wrote it down wrong. Go figure.

In any case, thanks again for the help. Just what I needed.

Tom

Does it ever help!

Thanks very, very much. Just returned the C6 filter/gasket for the correct one. And, I also managed to mis-read the door code 8 months ago when I bought this little project. It was always a C4 but I just wrote it down wrong. Go figure.

Tom

Does it ever help!

Tom

Glad it helped you out. That's what is great about forums.

Does it ever help!

Tom

Glad it helped you out. That's what is great about forums.