Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

Looks like I'll need some new 17" rim ideas.......

if you were to paint the insets black and use the black backer it would look a lot like a magnum 500 but only from a distance, up close you would see the gap between the wheel and the backer. let me do some and see if i can come up with something else that would look good. i sure wish they made the Hot Wheels wheel that you liked in bare or polished aluminum instead of chrome, that would have been the best choice but with the flaking chrome deal a lot of those have had i just wouldn't trust it.

for the record and despite the crappy chop i still like the look of the salt flat, it's different yet familiar. Enkei used to make a wheel that looked a lot like either a magnum 500 or 69 shelby wheel or maybe it was more of a cross between them except that it had rivets around the hoop like a 3 piece wheel that would be the best looking wheel for what you want but they quit making that wheel about the same time as they quit making my personal all time favorite wheel style ever... the mesh wheel.

if you were to paint the insets black and use the black backer it would look a lot like a magnum 500 but only from a distance, up close you would see the gap between the wheel and the backer. let me do some and see if i can come up with something else that would look good. i sure wish they made the Hot Wheels wheel that you liked in bare or polished aluminum instead of chrome, that would have been the best choice but with the flaking chrome deal a lot of those have had i just wouldn't trust it.

for the record and despite the crappy chop i still like the look of the salt flat, it's different yet familiar. Enkei used to make a wheel that looked a lot like either a magnum 500 or 69 shelby wheel or maybe it was more of a cross between them except that it had rivets around the hoop like a 3 piece wheel that would be the best looking wheel for what you want but they quit making that wheel about the same time as they quit making my personal all time favorite wheel style ever... the mesh wheel.

Well, if I added a backer I don't think I would bother with painting those insets as they are such a thin border that it's not worth the effort. I can see why a dust shield would leave a visable gap up close but if I added my own backers I would think that I could make it suck right up to the backside couldn't I?

I took an old pic of my car and tried it out with and without redlines and I can't say that I hate it, in fact I think I really like this look. Granted my car looks nothing like this now with all the shelby glass and we know that the redlines don't compliment the old aqua like they do my new gunmetal color but you get the idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3369&d=1217365444

attachment.php?attachmentid=3370&d=1217365452

Well, if I added a backer I don't think I would bother with painting those insets as they are such a thin border that it's not worth the effort. I can see why a dust shield would leave a visable gap up close but if I added my own backers I would think that I could make it suck right up to the backside couldn't I?

I took an old pic of my car and tried it out with and without redlines and I can't say that I hate it, in fact I think I really like this look. Granted my car looks nothing like this now with all the shelby glass and we know that the redlines don't compliment the old aqua like they do my new gunmetal color but you get the idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3369&d=1217365444

attachment.php?attachmentid=3370&d=1217365452

Well, you and I have radically different tastes on wheels B, that's for sure.

I mean c'mon, if that doesn't have the vintage hotwheel look we all grew up on I don't know what does, and that was pretty much my objective all along with the Magnum.

kuhni%20original.jpg

Well, you and I have radically different tastes on wheels B, that's for sure.

I mean c'mon, if that doesn't have the vintage hotwheel look we all grew up on I don't know what does, and that was pretty much my objective all along with the Magnum.

kuhni%20original.jpg

ya know what, yuo're gonna think i'm nuts but i think this is a pretty cool looking wheel. it has a classic 5 spoke/slot mag look to it. it's probably not the wheel for your car but i thought i'd post it in case anyone else might be interested.

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/BigPic.jsp?wheelMake=Granite+Alloy&wheelModel=GA8&wheelFinish=Flat+Black+w%2FMach+Lip

ya know what, yuo're gonna think i'm nuts but i think this is a pretty cool looking wheel. it has a classic 5 spoke/slot mag look to it. it's probably not the wheel for your car but i thought i'd post it in case anyone else might be interested.

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/BigPic.jsp?wheelMake=Granite+Alloy&wheelModel=GA8&wheelFinish=Flat+Black+w%2FMach+Lip

here's another that WOULD work for your car except for the price is insane...they even call it the "Magnum"

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_detail.asp?subcat2=1021&subcat3=1021100

I thought you were going to bring some viable options to the table Bryan?!?!??!?! Yikes! If I was going to for even a minute consider insane pricing then why wouldn't I simply go back to where I started 1.5 years ago?

http://wheelvintiques.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page8.html

BTW your tire rack link resets at the mainpage not the full URL you have listed so I don't know which one you were looking at.

Oh and on another note, looks like someone on VMF has already done your salt flat idea, well kind of anyway. They did it all in black powder coat and instead of having the center polished they just added a spinner. http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/mustangfeverrr/december2007004.jpg

here's another that WOULD work for your car except for the price is insane...they even call it the "Magnum"

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_detail.asp?subcat2=1021&subcat3=1021100

I thought you were going to bring some viable options to the table Bryan?!?!??!?! Yikes! If I was going to for even a minute consider insane pricing then why wouldn't I simply go back to where I started 1.5 years ago?

BTW your tire rack link resets at the mainpage not the full URL you have listed so I don't know which one you were looking at.

Oh and on another note, looks like someone on VMF has already done your salt flat idea, well kind of anyway. They did it all in black powder coat and instead of having the center polished they just added a spinner. http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/mustangfeverrr/december2007004.jpg

man i looked at a ton of wheels yesterday and everything i found that looked remotely like what you wanted was even more expensive than the ones i posted, not done lookinh yet though.

i don't remember which wheel it was that i posted now either, you probably wouldn't have liked it anyway.

those salt flats are the wheels i was originally going to get but went with the 454's instead, they used to be on Frank's (4musclemachines) boss 351 and the 454's were on his boss 302. Frank emailed me and said he had someone interested in buying the salt flats and wanted to know if i wanted them of the 454's which totally screwed up my whole thought process and everyone i asked said they liked the 454's better.....now you can see why i'm kicking myself over not getting the salt flats, they look pretty damn good on that car don't they?

man i looked at a ton of wheels yesterday and everything i found that looked remotely like what you wanted was even more expensive than the ones i posted, not done lookinh yet though.

i don't remember which wheel it was that i posted now either, you probably wouldn't have liked it anyway.

those salt flats are the wheels i was originally going to get but went with the 454's instead, they used to be on Frank's (4musclemachines) boss 351 and the 454's were on his boss 302. Frank emailed me and said he had someone interested in buying the salt flats and wanted to know if i wanted them of the 454's which totally screwed up my whole thought process and everyone i asked said they liked the 454's better.....now you can see why i'm kicking myself over not getting the salt flats, they look pretty damn good on that car don't they?

Yeah they did, I actually thought they looked better on the Boss 351 he originally had though, still just not what I want, the centerline version still looks better to me that way and you know my general feelings on the 454's. I used to like them but I just can't live with all the gas station Eleanor comments.

Well I appreciate the help on the search none the less, usually you come up with something amazing that I overlooked. So what did you think was so meh about the retro's I chopped in anyway?

Yeah they did, I actually thought they looked better on the Boss 351 he originally had though, still just not what I want, the centerline version still looks better to me that way and you know my general feelings on the 454's. I used to like them but I just can't live with all the gas station Eleanor comments.

Well I appreciate the help on the search none the less, usually you come up with something amazing that I overlooked. So what did you think was so meh about the retro's I chopped in anyway?

i just thought they didn't really look all that great with your car.....kinda generic looking, about as generic as my 454's, really, maybe worse. sorry, but that's my opinion.

i did find another set of sem salt flat style wheels that would be absolutely amazing looking as a semi mag 500, but they are way ka-ching!!!! check 'em out anyway though.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=16&scid=128&pid=1011

BTW, you should check out all the wheels at summit racing, there were 35+ pages of just 17" wheels, a bunch of them are the same wheel in different widths and finishes but you might be able to find something you like there.

honestly, i think the best choice you've found so far is Centerlines Sellers has but with the centers blacked out like the chop.

i just thought they didn't really look all that great with your car.....kinda generic looking, about as generic as my 454's, really, maybe worse. sorry, but that's my opinion.

i did find another set of sem salt flat style wheels that would be absolutely amazing looking as a semi mag 500, but they are way ka-ching!!!! check 'em out anyway though.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=16&scid=128&pid=1011

BTW, you should check out all the wheels at summit racing, there were 35+ pages of just 17" wheels, a bunch of them are the same wheel in different widths and finishes but you might be able to find something you like there.

honestly, i think the best choice you've found so far is Centerlines Sellers has but with the centers blacked out like the chop.