Sign in to follow this  
69 Coupe de jour

FMX question

Modulator. Put on an old shirt, Get under the drivers side with a flashlight and a small flat tip screw driver. and adjust it in or out.. Drive it,, and adjust it again. You can see the screw when you pull the vacume line off. You will be able to tell how it is responding just by driving it.. When I got mine it was like there was no second gear at all.. It seemed to just jump right to third..

Modulator. Put on an old shirt, Get under the drivers side with a flashlight and a small flat tip screw driver. and adjust it in or out.. Drive it,, and adjust it again. You can see the screw when you pull the vacume line off. You will be able to tell how it is responding just by driving it.. When I got mine it was like there was no second gear at all.. It seemed to just jump right to third..

To get rid of that, did you have to turn clockwise or the other way?

I had the same problem after I had mine rebuilt. Turn it counter clockwise to make it shift sooner, clockwise to make it shift later. Make sure your vacuum is good. The modulator must have good manifold vacuum or it won't work well.

I had the same problem after I had mine rebuilt. Turn it counter clockwise to make it shift sooner, clockwise to make it shift later. Make sure your vacuum is good. The modulator must have good manifold vacuum or it won't work well.

I have turned mine clockwise 7 full turns and it is starting to get better...LOL. How could a shop that test drove it let it out like that? Probably a couple more turns to go and I am there.

Before, it shifted so fast it felt like I was starting in 3rd. I figured it was a byproduct of 450 ft/lbs of torque.

I have turned mine clockwise 7 full turns and it is starting to get better...LOL. How could a shop that test drove it let it out like that? Probably a couple more turns to go and I am there.

Before, it shifted so fast it felt like I was starting in 3rd. I figured it was a byproduct of 450 ft/lbs of torque.

If a trans change is desired, go with a c-4 street smart package [lifetime warranty] from performance automatic. and lose the boat anchor.

boat anchor? the FMX is one of the most durable and most forgiving trannies ford ever made. i would never, ever replace an FMX with a c4 no matter who built it, i wouldn't swap one for a c6 either for that matter. the only trans i would ever consider swapping my FMX for would be an AOD with an AODE overdrive band, 4r70w wide ratio gearset, an A+ servo and a Lentech valve body.

the FMX was one of the most popular ford racing trannies in the late 60's and through the 70's. it didn't take much to make an FMX handle just about anything you could throw at it. there are still guys running the FMX in certain classes and turning low 10's and high 9's and pulling the front tires a good 2 feet off the line with nothing more than good quality internals, a shift kit and a convertor. not too bad for a boat anchor if you ask me :biggrin:

If a trans change is desired, go with a c-4 street smart package [lifetime warranty] from performance automatic. and lose the boat anchor.

boat anchor? the FMX is one of the most durable and most forgiving trannies ford ever made. i would never, ever replace an FMX with a c4 no matter who built it, i wouldn't swap one for a c6 either for that matter. the only trans i would ever consider swapping my FMX for would be an AOD with an AODE overdrive band, 4r70w wide ratio gearset, an A+ servo and a Lentech valve body.

the FMX was one of the most popular ford racing trannies in the late 60's and through the 70's. it didn't take much to make an FMX handle just about anything you could throw at it. there are still guys running the FMX in certain classes and turning low 10's and high 9's and pulling the front tires a good 2 feet off the line with nothing more than good quality internals, a shift kit and a convertor. not too bad for a boat anchor if you ask me :biggrin: