Sign in to follow this  
Ltnrisk

Big Brakes and Trunk Panels

Hi all!

yea, so i finally got the ball going on my project going on 5 years now :) I have a 69 Mustang Coupe.

The last time I left off when finishing the frame from the firewall to the front. Now I am working on the trunk and its got some rust. I was wondering if there are some trunk repo panels I can purchase for my car. Then I will need to replace the drum brakes and I know there are some disc brakes available. I just need to know what brakes I can get from what car. I'll throw in some pics too just to give an Idea with what I am working with, sorry if its bad quality, only have a camera phone.

the Mustang 001 pic is a pic of my borthers project so I have limited time to finish up on mine cause he is ready to start on his.

Sounds like you are looking to hunt down your brakes from the bone yard? There are a variety of late 70's fords that use the same type of setup as the infamous Grenada swap, I can't recall them all but we have many threads on this subject that will direct you to various makes and models to hunt for. Or you can basically buy this whole type of kit brand new from a place like www.discbrakeswap.com

I assumed you were only doing a front disc brake swap correct? Rear conversions are not very affordable at all. If so than the other cars you want to look for in addition to the Grenadas are Mavericks and Monarch's all from the75'-80' time frame, actually a 74' Maverick works too, they had the disc/drum setup a year before the other two. You'll need the master cyl and proportioning valve as well but honestly they are cheap (if you buy them for the above models) and I think new is the better way to go on these items as well as new lines. As an example, if you buy the disc/drum prop valve from a mustang vendor they are selling you the same item for over $100, look it up for any of the above models listed and it's half that at least, same exact item though.

The package price on the disc brake swap link I gave you is actually pretty affordable compared to Wilwood as you said, you should definitely at least look at it if you haven't already and also check out www.ultrastang.com he is actually a member here and has tons of helpful info and products that are hard to find like the 7/16-24 fitting you will need for this swap, none of the parts stores I have gone too in the past carry these any more. You may find that when you factor in the time to hunt this down, get there, pull it and refurbish it that you aren't saving anything on the used item at all.

in most cases once you actually find a salvage yard system and buy then refurbish it and buy all the extra stuff like master cylinder, brake hoses, rebuilt calipers, brake pads, wheel bearings and seals, etc you will have spent more on a used system than you would on the discbrakeswap.com kit. he also a power brake option now as well with a rebuilt booster and power brake pedal for way under $1000 for EVERYTHING needed for the swap. he also has correct systems for 69/70 cars now as well for the same price.

I assumed you were only doing a front disc brake swap correct? Rear conversions are not very affordable at all. If so than the other cars you want to look for in addition to the Grenadas are Mavericks and Monarch's all from the75'-80' time frame, actually a 74' Maverick works too, they had the disc/drum setup a year before the other two. You'll need the master cyl and proportioning valve as well but honestly they are cheap (if you buy them for the above models) and I think new is the better way to go on these items as well as new lines. As an example, if you buy the disc/drum prop valve from a mustang vendor they are selling you the same item for over $100, look it up for any of the above models listed and it's half that at least, same exact item though.

The package price on the disc brake swap link I gave you is actually pretty affordable compared to Wilwood as you said, you should definitely at least look at it if you haven't already and also check out www.ultrastang.com he is actually a member here and has tons of helpful info and products that are hard to find like the 7/16-24 fitting you will need for this swap, none of the parts stores I have gone too in the past carry these any more. You may find that when you factor in the time to hunt this down, get there, pull it and refurbish it that you aren't saving anything on the used item at all.

Thanks Pak forgot to put ultrastang down as another good option. :thumbup1: