Sign in to follow this  
69stang

HELP! Identifying 302

Ok so I pulled a 302 out of a 1970 Mustang. Me being an idiot assumed it was a 302 from a 1970 (or atleast one that interchanges parts wise. So I talk to Modern Driveline and they tell me I will need a 157 tooth flywheel (10") and clutch, figuring they know their stuff (which I still assume they do), I order it. Tear the old motor out, and find out it has a bigger flywheel(guessing 10.5", and 164 tooth).

So realized I messed up (after second day shipping it), I try to figure out what motor it is.

Looked up online, got told to check right above the starter. I found these Numbers

090E 60150C (I believe the numbers weren't easy to read but thats the best I could make them out)

PLEASE help me!

302's used both 157 tooth and 164 so that's not a real good way to identify your engine. Your bell housing will determine the tooth/flywheel size. The number under the the starter is the block casting number. I would guess it is C9OE not O9OE which would be 1969 and it could be a 351W. A 70 would have also used a C9OE block. I think a 70 302 would have a C8AE casting number and the C9OE is a 351W but I could be wrong. Pull one of the valve covers off and look for 302 cast in the head, that would give you a good idea at least head wise and chances are no one would have 302 heads on a 351W. If it says 351 it could be a 351W or a 302 with 351 heads. If it says 351 count the intake bolts (more than a 302 on early engines) or if you have the intake off it will have 302 or 351 cast in the block valley. A 351W is wider than a 302 and if you post a pick I could tell you real quick what it is or check out these casting numbers and see if you can figure anything out http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine2.html

Take a wire wheel, or some degreaser and scotch brite to the numbers. Just to be for sure what you've got. C9OE- is a 351W code, the 302's is C8OE-. D9OE is a code for 79 302s, but the dipstick is in the block not the timing cover. Look at the heads and the intake valley as mentioned above.

Ok, so more info, though I can't find a true answer.

I am assuming it has a 302 (intake had the 302 firing order on it, and the spark plugs are in 302 order), so i am assuming it has to be a 302 since it ran, and i dont think they would make a intake for a 351 that had a 302 firing order on it.

The number behind the starter is cleaned up and easier to read, i will post pictures as soon as i get home.

9G15 is DEFINITELY correct.

C90E - 6015C

The E looks like an upside down F as if the top end of the E was chopped off.

Took the intake off, and there isn't a 302 or a 351, unless they printed them backwards

There seems like a 20(and than a hole), but it would be definitely backwards.(again I will post pics soon).

Figured it wasnt worth checking the heads since they won't really prove anything

I will try to measure it and see what numbers I get.

n31508464_31834134_137.jpg

Don't know if you can tell from that but its the only pic i got.

Am I the only one not seeing any pictures? It sounds like you reference and talk about pics in several posts here but I don't see a single one!??!?!??!?!

BTW, I thought you were going with a turbo I6?

I wanted to do the I6 mainly for the originality of it. But my I6 developed a rod knock, so I was figuring out if i wanted to change it out for a 250 or keep the 200. When doing this I decided to check prices on V8's etc. It turns out to be cheaper to do the V8.

I6- New one or rebuild - 300

Aluminum Heads - 1600

Aluminum Intake - 300

Turbo - 1200

Exaust - 400 (plus a bunch of custom fabricating)

Total 3800

All the rest of the drivetrain, brakes, suspension etc would need to be upgraded like if i went to a V8.

I got the V8 parts car for 1200 (has the 8" rear, all motor mounts, and the motor itself which was running well, and has a mild cam in it)

Aluminum Heads - 1600

Intake - 350

Carb - 200

Exhaust - 350

Total 3700 (not counting any money I make by selling off old parts on the parts car or anything)

It ends up being very close in price with the V8 swap actually being cheaper. Than I started thinking a mildly built up 302 has more power than most of the people on fordsix are getting, and its not turbo'd so those hassles aren't there.

So due to all of this I decided the V8 was the better way to go. I would have loved to do the "Boss 200" I wanted to do, but everything just seemed to work against that idea.