Sign in to follow this  
TNT69

Should I go big block

Hi y'all

I've got a 69 grande with a 302 and a c4 tranny

I've got a lead on a 427 from a late 60's torino for a good price (don't know what that is yet, wants an offer, any suggetions). The engine is not rebuilt and he doesn't know the mileage, so I'd probably have to re-build it.

My question is I have now idea how hard of a job it is to convert to a BB engine and what I have in store.

I'm assuming I'd need a different tranny cause my C4 is worn and ain't going to cut it. In that case I prefer a stick, but I have no idea what is involved in converting a car from auto to stick.

Just need a little advice from some that have a better idea of what I might be getting myself into.

I have moderate mechanical skill but have never done an engine swap before (or even pulled an engine). I have friends that have. I also was planning on pulling my engine to re-build it in the future so that's why I'm considering upgrading to a BB.

it can be done but you need to make sure it's an actual 427 first, since the 427 was never available in a torino from the factory. i'd be willing to be it's either a 390 or 428 if it's original to the car. is selling only the engine or is the trans available too? the c4 definitely won't work behind it because the bellhousing bolt pattern is different but you can buy a new big block bellhousing for it and have the c4 built to handle it, then you need to swap the rearend out to a 9 inch as well and you should consider beefing up the shock towers and springs to handle the extra weight as well, these are not required, the 67-68 BB mustang and cougars didn't have any tower reinforcements even the 68 427 cougars, but it's a very. very good idea to do it.

the motor mounts will need to be changed to units compatible with the FE engines as well. you'll also need to change the radiator for a big block unit, or if you already have the 24" radiator a radiator shop can relocate the lower hose to make it work for the BB. you'll also need all the brackets and pulleys for the BB as well and the exhaust system will need to be adapted to work as well.

all in all it's not impossible to do the swap and really not all that difficult but it will be a little more involved than say swapping in a 351w. swapping a 351c in is almost as involved as swapping in a 390,427 or 428 since most of the stuff you'd need to swap in a bb will be need to swap in a 351c, like brackets and pulleys, radiator, exhaust, etc but the motor mounts and trans are the same as other small block parts.

Personally, I'd avoid changing to a BB. 69 Mustang engine compartment is pretty cramped even with a small block. And unless your building a super HP motor and suspension/drivetrain to support, all a BB will give you will be more heat, use more gas, and take up more room.

Thanks for the info

Now you got me thinking something else...

It sounds pretty straightforward to swap in a 351w and I can get a complete engine for $250 as a starter to re-build (just found 2 in my area on craigslist). And I can drive my car while I build up the engine.

How much of my existing 302 stuff can I use. I just updated the following

Carb and intake

Exhaust (magnaflow dual SS)

pertronix

Can the 351w be stroked (400 crank??) and to what?

I planned to upgrade the heads and cam on my 302 but if I can do the same on a 351w I might get more bang for my buck and time (vs a BB conversion).

Thoughts?

A 351w stroker would probably give you the best performance bang for your buck. You can stroke a 351w out to 427 cid (and bigger I think) but a 408 is plenty for a street car. Its fairly easy to make big power numbers with a 351w stroker and the parts are readily available.

you could also do a 392 budget stroker, using a 392 stroker crank, stock 351 rods and off the shelf 302 pistons. the 302 intake won't work on the 351 but the carb and pertonix will. you'll probably need to modify the exhaust slightly as the 351 is wider than the 302 so the exhaust manifolds/headers will exit in a slightly different location. if you use a 69 351w you can use all of your pulleys and some of the accessory brackets will work as well, the other option would be to use a more common later model 351w and install a 69 351w harmonic balancer. in any case you will want to have the entire rotating assembly, crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, flywheel/flexplate all balanced before you assemble the engine.

going with a stroked 351w is definitely the way to go, since you can use most of your existing 302 stuff, like the radiator, water pump, transmission, motor mounts, etc. if you have headers on the 302 they may or may not work on the 351 and you'll have to use a 351 fuel pump and some of the accessory brackets but it's a much less expensive option than a big block and you'll have the same or more power as the big block

You guys are awesome

I am STRONGLY leaning toward the 351w option. If you know of any sites or books that explain the process please share. Probably do something similar to the 392 stroker mentioned. I'm sure its enough ponies for me.

For the 427 stroker do you have issues with the piston pin being super close to the rings. I would think piston would be very short. Also would the block need to be modified to allow for the crank movement?

I've seen 351W's punched and stroked to 427 and even a 434cid. But for that I would suggest a Dart or World block. For a Ford 351W (or 351C for that matter) block 408 is about as much as you would want to go. Piston pin and wall thinnest / core shift prevent going much bigger without having potential issues or worries.

You can make huge numbers with a 408.....

go with a 351w and stroke it. put a performance automatic c-4 behind it and a nod 9" posi w/ 3.25 to3.91 ratio depending on your use. the big block is nice to say you have but your car is a small block and the change to a 351 is easier. (wish stroker kits were avail. and cheap when I built mine)