Sign in to follow this  
Boogerschnot

Power Steering Fluid?

Am I supposed to be using automatic tranny fluid in my power steering pump? I read that somewhere and it kind of bugged me.. After my rebuild I put in some regular power steering fluid, and its been working just fine,, whats the difference? Please let me know if Im going to be replacing some parts due to this f-up..

Not just any auto tranny fluid but type F. If your system was fully cleaned and flushed first or all new then it's probably no big deal but I don't think it is a good idea to have the two mixed. The two fluids aren't radically different in composition but the old PS systems were not as sophisticated as what we have these days so a more substantial fluid is recommended. Basically PS fluid is just a lubricant and ATF is more of a cleaner and anti friction compound. These sytems leak like crazy and a thinner fluid will likely find its way out faster.

Ive got no leaks thus far, after about 6 months of driving.. and Yes the system was cleaned up completely.. I used the high mileage fluid so maybe I will be ok.. But then again maybe i will flush it out this weekend and refill with type F.. Ive got knothing better to do anyway..

I used NAPA PS fluid in my second pump w/o issues. 1st one I smoked by filling it with power steering restorer - way too thick by itself. It was all I had and being an idiot I couldn't wait to try out the new pump. Took me a while to clean out the gunk and send it back for a refund.