Sign in to follow this  
6T9Mach1

Air cleaner clearance problems

After getting my motor in last night I noticed how freakin high it was sitting up in the engine bay. You could tell right away I was not going to have enough clearance for my air cleaner as is. The pics below so my problem; this is after removing the 1/2" spacer underneath the air cleaner.

DSCF0697.jpg

I still have a 1" carb spacer I'm going to have to remove but I still dont think it is going to give me the clearance I need. The back will be low enough but the front will still be too high. What I was thinking of doing is using that 1/2" round spacer that goes around the top of the car and cutting it on an angle; going from a 1/2" in the back to nothing in the front to try to get the air cleaner to tip down. I'm just kinda brainstorming so if anyone has any suggestions (other than get another air cleaner wink.gif ) I'd like to hear them. It may come down to I just cant use that air cleaner sad.gifbs.gif

Here is what I've got on top. 351w, Weiand Stealth intake, Holley Street Avenger carb and a Cobra air cleaner. Good thing I didnt go with the RPM intake; its taller yet!

Had the same type of problem. I have a 351 with the rpm intake and a 1 inch spacer. I had a 14 round cleaner though with 3 inch element. and I had to cut a hole in the hood that just barely fit under the mach 1 scoop but the top of the cleaner was barely sticking through so I need to go 1/2 inch higher to make it look right.

Adjustable mounts would be an option if my motor wasnt sitting so low already. I had the motor out last year and replaced the motor mounts. I also bought the correct 5-blade fan for the car; it wouldnt fit. It hit the bottom of the fan shroud. My oil pan is almost on the cross-member as well.

I took the 1" spacer out tonight and it is going to be close. It is all going to depend on where the cutout around the hood scoop is and if the air cleaner will land inside of that.

I have the performer RPM intake, Edelbrock carb (no carb spacer) and the Cobra air cleaner with a short element - it fits, but with little extra room.

A tip for checking clearance - loosely wad up a couple balls of aluminum foil and set them on your air cleaner. Carefully close the hood and then check to see how squashed the foil balls get - this will show you how much room you have.

Wow, thats close lol! I think that I may have found what I am looking for. Its a wedge carburetor spacer. Summit has one with a 5 degree angle and one with an 8 degree angle. If they dont raise the front up too much they may be the anser to my problems and give me some extra clearance. This would tilt the front of my air cleaner down more.

I just thought that I would post an update. I ended up having plenty of room for the air cleaner. I will even have enough room to use a 1/2" spacer and still have a 1/2" of clearance. Thanks to everyone for there help and suggestions.

I actually didnt have to do anything... it has stock motor mounts, (but I think that the motor sits a little low because I cant use the correct 5-blade fan because it hits the shroud which is down as far as it can go) I already had the 1/2" spacer out from underneath the air cleaner and I already had the 1" carb spacer out as well. I put some modeling clay on top of the air cleaner and closed the hood and saw that I had about an inch to play with. I'll probably end up using a 1/2" carb spacer and I will still have about a 1/2" of room.