Sign in to follow this  
jag

Heater Core Removal

From what I hear it is a real pain to remove the heater core from 69/70 mustangs. Are there any "good" ways to accomplish this and does the lower metal dash have to be unbolted from the body to get out the core? I am sure this doesn't help ....I have factory A/C.

jag

From what I hear it is a real pain to remove the heater core from 69/70 mustangs. Are there any "good" ways to accomplish this and does the lower metal dash have to be unbolted from the body to get out the core? I am sure this doesn't help ....I have factory A/C.

jag

jag

I have replaced mine twice in the last month. The first time I had the dash completely out. It was very easy. The tubes that exit the firewall were not popsitioned right and when I tried to put the outside gasket and metal cover plate on I broke one of the tubes, so changed it again. This last time I was setting the motor and transmission, bumped it and broke the tube. This time I had the dash in the car. I did not have the dash pad on but the lower metalpart was on. It is much easier with the complete dash removed. What I did this last time was completley unbolted the metal dash, had my wife hold it up and out of the way. I was able to get the heater box in and out this way. Just take it slow and it can be done. Hope this helps.

jag

I have replaced mine twice in the last month. The first time I had the dash completely out. It was very easy. The tubes that exit the firewall were not popsitioned right and when I tried to put the outside gasket and metal cover plate on I broke one of the tubes, so changed it again. This last time I was setting the motor and transmission, bumped it and broke the tube. This time I had the dash in the car. I did not have the dash pad on but the lower metalpart was on. It is much easier with the complete dash removed. What I did this last time was completley unbolted the metal dash, had my wife hold it up and out of the way. I was able to get the heater box in and out this way. Just take it slow and it can be done. Hope this helps.

I have done several heater core replacements on 69/70 cars ,i just take out the glove box loosen the hoses and split the heater box without removing it its a bit tight but can be done without removing the whole unit.javed

I have done several heater core replacements on 69/70 cars ,i just take out the glove box loosen the hoses and split the heater box without removing it its a bit tight but can be done without removing the whole unit.javed

Thanks for all the good help and information. I will be able to start on this when the demands on my time aren't so severe. I can't wait to get it done so I can drive my car again. It sat all winter I drove it once and the core went. Oh well at least I wasn't on a road trip hours away! I guess I WAS lucky.

jag

Thanks for all the good help and information. I will be able to start on this when the demands on my time aren't so severe. I can't wait to get it done so I can drive my car again. It sat all winter I drove it once and the core went. Oh well at least I wasn't on a road trip hours away! I guess I WAS lucky.

jag

I've done this more times than I care to remember - the job is not too bad if you remove the dash pad, remove the passenger side trim panel and glovebox, and then unbolt the dash where it fastens to the inside of the passenger side door pillar. This allows you to pull the dash out a bit on the right side to make more working room and you can more easily open the heater case to do the work without having to remove the rear half of the case. I seem to recall there being some brace in there that also needs to have the bolt removed as well.

Patience and beer helps.

Personally I got tired of it, did it twice and never used the heater once so I bypassed it since my car is a nice weather driver only. Never again will puddles of coolant grace my floors!!!!!

Well I have been abvle to work on the heater core.......I have a question for everyone who answered my original post. Do you have factory A/C? I do and it just keeps getting worse the more I get into it. I do believe I will have to take out the dash to get that heater core box out. I think the A/C puts alot more height on the box. Hoping I missed something here!

JAG

I have ac on my 69 mach 1. I just replaced my core last week. I had the padded dash off. Remove the dash panel that holds the clock. Remove the glovebox and lid. Here is the trick... Remove the lower metal dash brace that the glove box mounts to. It will give you alot of "flex" when needed. Unbolt the lower metal dash from the right side door frame area. Under the hood the book says remove 5 nuts BUT THERE ARE ONLY 3. I broke the box in half and took out the top first. Then the bottom comes right out. I installed the unit back all together and had a buddy guide the tubes in with a long screwdriver. Remove and install took 3 hours. NOTE: Now is the time to replace the evaporator core for your ac if needed. I left mine inside the half of the box and submerged that half of the box underwater except for the tubes. I put my finger over one tube and shot air into the other. If you have a leak alot of bubbles will show up. You will know. Hope this helps. Let me know. James the flame