Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Crankshaft Pulley needed

Hey guys,

As one of growing number of comedies around this father-son restoration, we managed to knock over the engine while on a stand and the weight of the fall pretty much dented in the main crankshaft pulley.

I'm wondering where folks might recommend I get a replacement. I've called all the local auto parts places (there aren't that many where I live) and they've all said I need to find a wrecking yard. Is that pretty much my fate here?

And by the way, I also need exhaust manifolds (one is broken outright, the other is cracked) and am wondering where folks would go for stuff like this.

As usual, my thanks.

Tom

Uh oh, sounds like someone may have tried to save a few bucks and bought a three legged engine stand. Must have been fun to pick it back up I'll bet. Just be thankful you didn't crush your foot or something.

I know it's not what you want to hear but I would be a little concerned about the crankshaft itself too.

Yeah, I actually borrowed a puller and engine stand from a friend. As you surmised, it was the 3-legged variety. Getting that SOB off the ground was something.

At this point, I'm just crossing my fingers about the crankshaft. That would be dang awful if it was damaged, but the engine actually fell in an interesting way: I was able to hold onto long enough to minimize the height it fell from (nearly crushing myself in the process) and it wound up falling in mostly gravel. So, for what it's worth, it could have been worse.

Tom