Sign in to follow this  
bo69

Hood Blackout

What should be used for the hood blackout. Is it nothing more then flat black or is their a recommended color code.

Just remember that the flat black can't be waxed and bird droppings etc will stain or show afterwards. I haven't used it yet but have looked into a flattening additive that is put into the clear. This is supposed to give the look of the flat paint but is waxable and easier to upkeep. But if your car is original I can understand you wanting to use the flat paint to be authentic.

I have seen both flat and gloss, and because of the flat black not being able to get waxed or bird dropping, I like the gloss better. If you do some searches under images, you may find some of both and decide what you like.

Have fun,

Bill from Ottawa

i did the flattened base/clear from the dupont hot hues line called hot rod black. it can be waxed but you need to use one of the light spray waxes, it doesn't like paste or liquid waxes but that's ok. i haven't had a problem with the bird bombs, it's just like any other painted part of the car.

you can see mine in the pics in my gallery

Here is a pretty good thread from almost 2 years ago that had a few options to consider. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1325&highlight=black

Personally I do not like the look of the gloss, the more I see it the more I hate it. I don't even really like it as much under a flat clear as I do just flat on the top as original. Sure the maintenance is easier but it defeats the whole purpose of why it was added to begin with, the plain flat paint really does cut down on road glare. It would seem with all the more modern options of flat available today that you can get wax on with no issue that there is no reason not to make it look as correct as possible.

Here is a pretty good thread from almost 2 years ago that had a few options to consider. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1325&highlight=black

Personally I do not like the look of the gloss, the more I see it the more I hate it. I don't even really like it as much under a flat clear as I do just flat on the top as original. Sure the maintenance is easier but it defeats the whole purpose of why it was added to begin with, the plain flat paint really does cut down on road glare. It would seem with all the more modern options of flat available today that you can get wax on with no issue that there is no reason not to make it look as correct as possible.

Agree with you, when I was talking about a flattining additive I didn't mean to sound like you paint it over the gloss black, if that's what I did. I have never used it before but meant more of what you were talking about a flat black that is waxable. Is this accomplished by using the clear with a flattening additive over a Semi-gloss black or do you just use the flattened clear over the flat black paint?

Good question, not sure really. If it were me I would have to do some test panels of each option to decide. I think I may try that Mercedes black now that Solo posted, that car looks great in the finished pics.

on a base/clear paint job the base color doesn't really have any gloss to it, it's the clear that adds the gloss. if you use a flattening agent in the clear it makes the paint have a low or semi gloss look to it, you can actually add flattening agent until it has absolutely no gloss at all but the factory flat black is really a low gloss black not really flat. the hot hues hot rod black uses a pre-flattened clear to get the correct sheen.