Sign in to follow this  
IGetIt

For those of you with the Vintage Vemon front brake kit

When installing the ARP studs to the existing hub, what method did you use to bore out the holes for the slightly larger ARP studs? Drill press, milling machine, or just bash them through with a BFH?

The weather is starting to get a tad warmer here and I'm itching to get my front brakes done.

EDIT - The title should say "Vintage Venom", not 'Vemon'. I'm just retarded tonight ;)

When installing the ARP studs to the existing hub, what method did you use to bore out the holes for the slightly larger ARP studs? Drill press, milling machine, or just bash them through with a BFH?

The weather is starting to get a tad warmer here and I'm itching to get my front brakes done.

EDIT - The title should say "Vintage Venom", not 'Vemon'. I'm just retarded tonight ;)

I used a tapered reamer on a drill press.

I saw a show a while back, can't remember which one it was though, where they actually used the lug nuts to pull the studs into the hub as they did not have a machine press handy.

EDIT: found it: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_auto_restoration/article/0,2021,DIY_13680_5289249_02,00.html

Thanks guys! I may try the "pull through with the lug nut" option first. If it doesn't want to go through, I'll set it up on the drill press and widen the hole to the VV specs. Hopefully this will be done by the weekend..

Kind of an update, My car is finished with the Vintage Venom install on all 4 wheels, but the car is in the shop getting a new cam and some other goodies. Im sure they used the press option though.

Ill post pictures of it soon!

As a side note, the shop that did the work was not to impressed with the Vintage Venom kit, they called it more of an idea or a concept than a kit. But it looks freaking awesome!!

Grabber70Mach - What rotors (brand) did you use in the front and where did you get them? I completed the driver side VV setup today and picked up a set of 13" rotors for a 2003 Cobra. Here's my problem: the rotor does not fit over the VV spacer. There is a ridge inside the rotor which has an inner diameter about 1/8" + or - smaller then the outer diameter of the spacer. The damn ridge is preventing me from pushing the rotor all the way on.

This puts the "snout" of the spacer about 1/2 back from the hole in the rotor when it should obviously be going through the hole.

BTW - The VV spacer has the exact same diameter as the hub, so I'm guessing the spacer is fine and I have an issue with the rotor?

If anyone else has this kit, please let me know what rotor you're using and where you got it. Thanks!

Got off my lazy behind and went out in the garage. I'm in the process of doing a 03 Cobra front brake upgrade on a friend's 03GT Vert in my shop now. I measured the inner diameter of the rotor, it measures out to 2.8", 2.8125 is equal to 2 13/16". On the inside of the hole of the rotor there isn't a edge the hole is chamfered, we purchased these rotors from http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?vtype=1&vmake=5579&vmodel=6913&vyear=6973&vdetail=6976&cPath=1_5579_6913_6973_6976_6977&ad=google

Awesome! Thanks so much for checking the measurements and for providing the link.

Looks like I need to do a return and get me some new rotors.

EDIT: Oh, just re-read it.. The edge that is hitting is actually shown below (see the red arrow on the back of the rotor):

1002006zy0.jpg

It hits this part of the spacer preventing the "snout" of the spacer to go through the hole. The snout actually fits perfectly in the hole when I put it in upside down on the front of the rotor, but I can't get the spacer all the way in from the back because of that damn lip. I think I'll just return the rotors and order some new ones.

The pic below shows the part of the spacer which hits the lip (see red arrow):

1002007hm4.jpg

I guess this is just one of the hurdles when upgrading a 40 year old car. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed refurbishing and rebuilding the hub.

I don't know how different the VV kit is from Mustang Steve's but here is a nice write up on the MS kit installed form a guy named Edbert that a bunch of us know on Stangnet, maybe it will help.

http://www.edbert.net/brakes.htm

If you still have some issues by next weekend I can get the names and numbers from the box of my rotors when I go home.

i think i remember reading somewhere that some original hubs need to have the outer edge turned down slightly with a grinder or on a brake lathe to fit flush inside the rotors. maybe on mustangsteve's site?

I didn't have to do that when I installed the kit on mine. I do recall something about having something turned down on a lathe, but thought that had to do with a Granada conversion not the VV kit.

Awesome! Thanks so much for checking the measurements and for providing the link.

Looks like I need to do a return and get me some new rotors.

EDIT: Oh, just re-read it.. The edge that is hitting is actually shown below (see the red arrow on the back of the rotor):

1002006zy0.jpg

It hits this part of the spacer preventing the "snout" of the spacer to go through the hole. The snout actually fits perfectly in the hole when I put it in upside down on the front of the rotor, but I can't get the spacer all the way in from the back because of that damn lip. I think I'll just return the rotors and order some new ones.

The pic below shows the part of the spacer which hits the lip (see red arrow):

1002007hm4.jpg

I guess this is just one of the hurdles when upgrading a 40 year old car. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed refurbishing and rebuilding the hub.

Here's the pic of the inner side of the rotor, I think they gave you the wrong one.

brakes.jpg

Hope this helps you out.

^ Yup, that explains it. On your rotor (below), look how much space is between the stud hole and the wall (where the "H" is). Then look at the one I posted above. The space outside of the stud hole is what mine were lacking. I returned them tonight and will be ordering online.

Thanks for your help... and for taking the time to take, host, and post the pics! I was worried about having to return another set if the issue was with my spacer, but I can clearly see that the issue was with the $h!tty rotors I bought.

Grabbers rotor :

grabberbrakeshx7.jpg

I'll post up some pics once I get new rotors.