Sign in to follow this  
bnickel

finally a good looking billet 69 grill

will do. the most time consuming part on this type job is making a wooden buck pattern to hold the individual pieces while you tig them together.

the difference is, and probably where most of the cost comes into play, is that the ebay one is CNC'd out of billet aluminum. it takes a lot of time to set up a cnc program for something like that then a lot of time on the machine to cut it out, granted the operator is most likely going to be standing around with his thumb up his butt for most of that time.....

don't see anything in the ad stating it's cnc'd. if it were, the price of the 6061 block would probably be more than $300. the grille is probably assembled, then the headlight holes are cut on a cnc mill. i'm not knocking anyones product or their cost & profit margin, just saying with a little work, you can save some money by d.i.y. isn't that the name of the game??

don't see anything in the ad stating it's cnc'd. if it were, the price of the 6061 block would probably be more than $300. the grille is probably assembled, then the headlight holes are cut on a cnc mill. i'm not knocking anyones product or their cost & profit margin, just saying with a little work, you can save some money by d.i.y. isn't that the name of the game??

it's definitely CNC'd, this is the same one that used to have a big center vertical bar but they've milled it out on this new version because most people didn't like it.

i'm all for saving money where i can but i was never a big fan of tube style grills, in fact i would actually like to see this one look more like a stock grill with vertical bars as well

yeah, the tube grilles ruin the looks of anything they are on. i'm still going to play around a little when i get some extra time ( probably not until the 36 is finished ) i like the idea of the stock type vertical bars too. shouldn't be hard to add. after the center bars are made, they just need to be slotted in the mill 50%, then slot the verticals 50%, where they slide together for a flush fit. damn, now i'm gonna have to go dig thru the scrap bin at "metal supermarket" again pretty soon! ( thats the mans version of wal-mart in my opinion!)

yeah, the tube grilles ruin the looks of anything they are on. i'm still going to play around a little when i get some extra time ( probably not until the 36 is finished ) i like the idea of the stock type vertical bars too. shouldn't be hard to add. after the center bars are made, they just need to be slotted in the mill 50%, then slot the verticals 50%, where they slide together for a flush fit. damn, now i'm gonna have to go dig thru the scrap bin at "metal supermarket" again pretty soon! ( thats the mans version of wal-mart in my opinion!)

hey, i'll let you make me one too...LOL

Actually, I'm wondering if you slot the vertical and horozontal bars so they interlock, you could fasten them together without Tig welding. I do have aluminum wire for my Mig, maybe just tacks on the back side where the bars intersect. The tricky part is the front bend.