Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foothilltom

Engine removal: Leave Tranny in or take out?

Hi guys, am hoping for some guidance here. Am finally ready to take out the 302 in the boy's car to pave the way for the dreaded shock tower removal. I have everything disconnected, but I'll be danged if I can even locate the motor mounts. So a few dumb questions for ye, if you please:

* How many motor mounts are there? I see 2 bolts only.

* Should I take the transmission out along with the engine or leave in?

* If leave tranny in, does the engine just "unplug" from the transmission when the bell housing bolts are removed?

* Is there a definitive book reference for removing a smallblock?

Thanks for any input/advice you have.

Tom

tom, if you disconnect the trans, you will also need to remove the torque convertor to flexplate bolts if it's an automatic trans. if you are removing the radiator support for your repairs, it would be easy enough to pull both attached. may be a little tricky otherwise, depending on your equipment & how many "hands" you have available.

there are two mounts on either side of the motor. 2 bolts, one for each side. do you have a cherry picker? it would make it a lil easier pullin the motor and trans together, but its still a little bit of a pain. if you decide to leave the trans. there are the bellhousing bolts, then ur going to have to go underneath the car and pull an inspection cover for the trans. inside should be the flexplate, there are 4 nuts on the flexplate that hold it to the torque converter. take the nuts off, you'll have to turn the motor by hand to get to all 4 nuts off, due to how they r spaced on the flexplate. then brace the transmission somehow so it doesnt fall, then proceed to pull the motor. as for a book, i have a mustang restoration book that says how to pull any more from a mustang. but i dont remember the name or anything like that.

I would leave the tranny..

and as stated before:

-pull the starter

-pull the two bolts that are going front to back on the shock tower engine mount.. Half of the motor mount is going to stay on the motor until you get it out of the car.

-Pull the trans inspection plate (2 bolts)

-turn the motor by hand until you see a nut coming through the flywheel (aka:flexplate in an auto car) Loosen the nuts.. You will want to replace them when you drop the motor back in. And to loosen them you may need to wedge a screw driver into one of the holes and wedge it up against the bell housing to give you something to pull against..

- get all the nuts out and then pull all the bell housing bolts and hook up your cherry picker.

- I used a lift plate that bolted to the intake to pull my motor.. and it just "unplugs" from the tranny as it comes out.

-I also used a jack to angle up my tranny just a bit in order to pull the motor and support the tranny.. You may want to use that.. Just try not to put too much pressure on it, and you want to slide the motor out not rip it out..

There are two, that is due to the racing heratige of our cars. I posted pictures of my engine removal on my website, I did it with the tranny. Take a look at my site. Good Luck.

Dan

Take the trans out with the engine. It makes the task easier in the long run. I pulled a 302 and 3 speed out of my 73 solo last weekend in about 20 minutes. Taking the tranny off the engine is much faster without the car surrounding it, plus you'll want to inspect it as well. And you won't have to worry about it flopping around if the car is going to be moved.

Drain the trans first or buy a plastic plug that fits in where the driveshaft was, disconnect the shifter linkage, cooler lines and speedo cable.

Jack the rear of the car as high as you can and put jackstands under the framerail. The ass end being up helps with the angle the engine and trans comes out at. Chain it up, put the jack under the trans to help support it when everything gets unbolted and then yank out the whole.

I think the question now is.. Are you planning on doing anything to the transmission while the engine is out?? If so, then what, and do you think you need the transmission out to do it? Youve got to decide that one.. If you dont plan on touching the tranny though, I would leave it in..