Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boogerschnot

I bought some suspension and need some help with Idle

I borrowed my buddies dwel/tach meter a couple of days ago to get my idle down to around 700,, It was actually set way higher than I though it was, up at 1400rpm and would diesel some times when I would shut it off.. So I was able to get it down to about 850 but after that I had no more adjustment on my curb Idle screw. It was touching knothing, so how can i get it down a little more? And Im running a performer plus cam, but it seems to idle really rough,, the entire car vibrates (or convulses) when Im at Idle.. How Can i smooth that out? I adjusted the mixture screws a little further out to get it to idle at 850, otherwise it would not, it would just die. And I adjusted the timing just a tad also to the smoothest running spot at 850rpm. I also opened up the choke to fully open since it was a operating temperature.. Is there anything else I need to do to the choke to get it adjusted correctly for those cold days? And I guess I really need a timing light. Any suggestions on how to tame this jumpy beast?

Otherwise It runs great.. I do feel like I may have messed up my break in though.. I drive it about 10 minutes to and from work at about 70mph,, and that has been most of my break in, I try to slow and speed up in bursts on the highway on the ride though.. I still have a good bit of mist coming up out of the valve cover breathers.. Is 350 miles too late to seat the rings by nailing it a few times?? Ive been getting on her, particularly going up hill for the extra load.. But it seems that she should not be breathing out of the valve covers like she is.. Let me know if it sounds fishy to you?

And:

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mustangs Unlimited:

-Grab a track mid eye leaf springs

-KYB Gas a just shocks

-Battery Tray

-monte carlo bar

-new driver side hood hinge

-window glue (to stick my drivers side window back in the track)

-couple of decals

-new shackles and bolts

I cant wait to get it all in and installed.. Should drive like a newer car!

IMO a light is only good to see where you are, not determine where you need to be. Every engine is different even ones built the same and I'm of the school to time the car by ear and give it as much timming as it likes. The stock setting is like 6* BTDC and that is enemic at best. If you advance it until it starts to ping and then back it off a little my guess is the light will show you at somewhere between 11* - 13* BTDC and that is where your car will likely run best. If you have a vacumm advance dizzy still just be sure to pull and plug the line first before you time it.

I've had my 390 up to 18*/20* before, back when I was learning my engine and learning to curve my Mallory, and it ran great. I finally settled on something around 14*/36*, since I'm not really that into performance, but it's fun to experiment with.

I do so hate the sound of pinging, though, hehe.

Boogerschnot, sound to me like you are getting good advice about timing but I think you also have a carb problem. Unless timing and dwell id way off, you should not run out of idle adjustment. What kind and how old is your carb.

RKS Pilot

Just another thought, with the older engines I don't believe nailing it with a new motor is the way to break it in. My grandfather built some indy cars back in the 40's and 50's and always told me to cruise between 50 and 70 progressively for the first 500 miles. Not to say that what you are doing it wrong for the new technology of newer motors, but I am old school.

RKS pilot

Im keeping it below 3000 rpm most of the time. Not pegging it out or going full throttle.. But the carb is an autolite 2100D.. My timing is still off a little though, I am getting some pinging,, I just really need to get a timing light on it..