Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sixty9cobra

wheels one more time

Hello been a lurker here for a while. My 69 mach is almost done with paint and body work. Im trying to decide on wheels for it now. It currently has Centerlines on it with the usual wrong offset and rub everywhere. I saw Street kings thread and love the look of the car. I dont want to spend 2 grand for wheels so Ive been looking around. I found these wheels http://www.americanmuscle.com/deepdish.html which fit his specs 18x10 with 6 3/8 bs looks like a nice wheel for 165.00 ea. I could put these on the back and put 17s in the front. What do you guys think am I nuts? Most of the wheels i see are like 200-300 ea . There is also the ebay wheels 17x8 and 17x9 torq thrusts for like 600 for a set of 4 but everyone seems to have them. Let me know if Im missing something in my measurements. thanks in advance.

Hello been a lurker here for a while. My 69 mach is almost done with paint and body work. Im trying to decide on wheels for it now. It currently has Centerlines on it with the usual wrong offset and rub everywhere. I saw Street kings thread and love the look of the car. I dont want to spend 2 grand for wheels so Ive been looking around. I found these wheels http://www.americanmuscle.com/deepdish.html which fit his specs 18x10 with 6 3/8 bs looks like a nice wheel for 165.00 ea. I could put these on the back and put 17s in the front. What do you guys think am I nuts? Most of the wheels i see are like 200-300 ea . There is also the ebay wheels 17x8 and 17x9 torq thrusts for like 600 for a set of 4 but everyone seems to have them. Let me know if Im missing something in my measurements. thanks in advance.

Do some research on what the rubber will cost. There is a huge difference in the price of a 275/35/18 and a 305/35/18. Wouldn't surprise me if the rubber costs you more that those wheels.

Streetking was just barely able to get that rubber to fit, and had to use just about every trick in the book to do it (roll fender lips, dent in the trunk wall, etc).

Be prepared to spend a lot of time/effort getting them to fit. What I would do is buy a wheel with a little more backspacing than what you need and then buy an assortment of spacers that you can swap in/out to get the perfect backspacing. When dealing with clearances this tight and cars this old, what worked for someone else might not work for you...

Do some research on what the rubber will cost. There is a huge difference in the price of a 275/35/18 and a 305/35/18. Wouldn't surprise me if the rubber costs you more that those wheels.

Streetking was just barely able to get that rubber to fit, and had to use just about every trick in the book to do it (roll fender lips, dent in the trunk wall, etc).

Be prepared to spend a lot of time/effort getting them to fit. What I would do is buy a wheel with a little more backspacing than what you need and then buy an assortment of spacers that you can swap in/out to get the perfect backspacing. When dealing with clearances this tight and cars this old, what worked for someone else might not work for you...

I agree with Bottle - SK really put a lot of time and effort to get that stance and fitment. And I'm sure a few bucks.... Maybe he will read this and add his .02 Also I wonder how well it would handle rough road, driveways, dips, speed bumps, etc...

And unless you are going with an off brand tire a Z rated quality tire in 275/18 and up will definitely be more than those wheels. BTW: I like the wheels - they look like a TT II knockoff. I like the TT II look but they are also overdone.

...I saw Street kings thread and love the look of the car. I dont want to spend 2 grand for wheels so Ive been looking around. I found these wheels http://www.americanmuscle.com/deepdish.html which fit his specs 18x10 with 6 3/8 bs....I could put these on the back and put 17s in the front. What do you guys think am I nuts?..

You're definitely not nuts. It would be an ideal set up.

The 18s and 17s combination will give your stang a nice stance.

With the staggered sizes, you can run a little more profile on the front and still maintain that rake. For instance, if you go with a 35 series 18 in the back, you can step up to a 40 series 17 in the front for a better ride.

Be careful, don't overdo the width on the 17s.

MD

Grabber70 that looks like that will rub on the ouside lip possibly? I just had new rear quarters put on. Im not cutting or rolling the lip period. That is why im being so carefull. Those wheels look awsome. If you could post side shots of tire to fenderlip it would be helpfull mine would be 1/4 in on both sides. im assuming 315 would be great if they dont rub.

Heres a 19x10 wheel with 295 35 19 tire. I had to massage the front of the inner wheelwell a bit, but nothing major.I did roll the lips but it probably wasnt necessary even as low as i'm going. IMO a staggered wheel setup looks the best on these bodystyles, therefore you can have a slight rake and have the same tire to fender profile front and rear as previously mentioned.

Offset on the rear is 4.25, but the rearend has been narrowed 2" on each side, so standard width housing would be 6.25. fronts are 18x9 with 4.625 backspacing and 255 40 18, probably could have gotten away with 4.75.

Seems like solid info on backspacing. I just want to get the widest tires and have no rubbing issues. Ive had this car for 34 yrs time to get it right. There was a article in Mustang Monthly on wheels and they even say 17x9.5 w 6 bs would fit no issues but they are only using 275s or 285s. I would be happy with 15 x10 or 15x9 inch wheels but there is only 2 chioces Draglites and Prostars with a 6"bs. I was hoping to be different which is half my problem.

14045.jpg

Heres a 19x10 wheel with 295 35 19 tire. I had to massage the front of the inner wheelwell a bit, but nothing major.I did roll the lips but it probably wasnt necessary even as low as i'm going. IMO a staggered wheel setup looks the best on these bodystyles, therefore you can have a slight rake and have the same tire to fender profile front and rear as previously mentioned.

That looks fantastic. Some have reporting rubbing with that size front rim and tire on lowered cars. Do you think it might be an issue on turns?

...There was a article in Mustang Monthly on wheels and they even say 17x9.5 w 6 bs would fit no issues but they are only using 275s or 285s. I would be happy with 15 x10 or 15x9 inch wheels but there is only 2 chioces Draglites and Prostars with a 6"bs. I was hoping to be different which is half my problem.

MM was referring to the rear wheels.

The 15x9s would rub on the front.

my 18x9 wheels up front don't seem like there will be an issue with rubbing, However, i did roll the lips and think there may be problems if that is not done, but only when fully locked. I dont see how you can get the same backspacing with a 15" wheel due to balljoint clearance. so your probably limited to an 8" wheel in that case.

It drives my nuts when people talk about their 18xwhatever wheels not rubbing.

Folks, it's not the wheels that rub it's the rubber. You should look at this from the tires perspective not the wheels. Figure out what the largerst tire that you can fit is, then figure out what the best size wheel would be for that tire.

You can get a 20x10 wheel to fit up front without rubbing. You just have to put 245 rubber on them which would look like crap.

It drives my nuts when people talk about their 18xwhatever wheels not rubbing.

Folks, it's not the wheels that rub it's the rubber. You should look at this from the tires perspective not the wheels. Figure out what the largerst tire that you can fit is, then figure out what the best size wheel would be for that tire.

You can get a 20x10 wheel to fit up front without rubbing. You just have to put 245 rubber on them which would look like crap.

You are correct that figuring out the tire you want is a great way to start, but if you're referring to my 15x9 comment, I'll put it this way: It doesn't matter what size tire he chooses, it's going to rub on the front if he uses a 15x9 inch rim.

The diameter of the wheel dictates what width is possible .(15x9 no, 18x9 yes) Therefore that obviously has an effect on what tire size is possible.You can run a wider tire when running larger diameter wheels because backspacing can be increased, therefore the width of the wheel can also.You cant just stick a tire in there and see if its going to rub without knowing how far it can be set back into the wheelwell.