Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDinDestin

Accessory Switches

Saw this picture and it got me thinking that there were a total of four of these switches available with three being the most available on any one car:

Sportlamps

Cruise Control

Power Top

Rear Defogger

In over thirty years of watching 69 & 70 stangs, this is the most I've seen on one vehicle.

Saw this picture and it got me thinking that there were a total of four of these switches available with three being the most available on any one car:

Sportlamps

Cruise Control

Power Top

Rear Defogger

In over thirty years of watching 69 & 70 stangs, this is the most I've seen on one vehicle.

Does anyone one have any info about these switches. Also, does anyone have information on all options for a 1969 mustang. I've been doing my research online and it seems the more info I feel I know about this car more and more keeps popping up. Thanks for your help.

Does anyone one have any info about these switches. Also, does anyone have information on all options for a 1969 mustang. I've been doing my research online and it seems the more info I feel I know about this car more and more keeps popping up. Thanks for your help.

I have the power top one but I only remember there being an allotment for 2 switches total as seen there, not 3.

69 and 70 are different. i believe there were 3 holes in 70 and only 2 in 69.

BTW, that particular dash in the photo is from a cougar, note the burled walnut woodgrain, it's also an XR7 because only the XR7 got the burled walnut. standard cougars got a color coded radio face plate that matched the color of the dash. also 70 XR7 cougars with the rear defogger had the defog switch in the toggle panels on the upper dash. i just traded my NOS defog switch for the 70 xr7 cougar switch a few weeks ago. i'm actually wondering if i shouldn't have done that but it's done now.

I have the power top one but I only remember there being an allotment for 2 switches total as seen there, not 3.

BTW, that particular dash in the photo is from a cougar, note the burled walnut woodgrain, it's also an XR7 because only the XR7 got the burled walnut. standard cougars got a color coded radio face plate that matched the color of the dash. also 70 XR7 cougars with the rear defogger had the defog switch in the toggle panels on the upper dash. i just traded my NOS defog switch for the 70 xr7 cougar switch a few weeks ago. i'm actually wondering if i shouldn't have done that but it's done now.

You're correct, that is a cougar and I forgot to mention that. Even so, I know for sure that three of the four were available in the stangs, but am not 100% positive the factory used this cruise control switch in the mustang. Does anyone know?

By the way, my 70s had three holes.

You're correct, that is a cougar and I forgot to mention that. Even so, I know for sure that three of the four were available in the stangs, but am not 100% positive the factory used this cruise control switch in the mustang. Does anyone know?

By the way, my 70s had three holes.

Sportlamps

Cruise Control

Power Top

Rear Defogger

Would a factory installed '69 cruise control switch be here on the dash? My car had factory cruise but I thought the switch was on the end of the blinker lever per the original owner. The guy I bought my car off of ( not the original owner) stole most of the cruise stuff and tilt column before I got it.

Sportlamps

Cruise Control

Power Top

Rear Defogger

Would a factory installed '69 cruise control switch be here on the dash? My car had factory cruise but I thought the switch was on the end of the blinker lever per the original owner. The guy I bought my car off of ( not the original owner) stole most of the cruise stuff and tilt column before I got it.

only the cruise control set switch is on the turn signal lever, the on/off switch is in the above location. actually the mustang used all four of the different switches only the cougar used just three of them, they didn't have a sport lamp option, with the exception of the 68 xr7-g and it had a dedicated switch on the console.

BTW, i have most of what i need to make a complete factory style cruise control system for my car with the exception of that particular on/off switch in the dash. it's not a factory correct system but would actually be more like an original over the counter or dealer installed system. it's made up of all aftermarket parts but has the correct speed regulator, turn signal set switch (from a 69 lincoln), and speedo cables. the system i have was sold by B&M in the 70's/early 80's but is just a reboxed Speedostat system (division of Dana corp) the vacuum diaphragm is also correct but for a later model (early to mid 70's) ford product. the system will look pretty much correct for a dealer installed or over the counter system when i'm done with the exception of the vacuum diaphragm.

only the cruise control set switch is on the turn signal lever, the on/off switch is in the above location. actually the mustang used all four of the different switches only the cougar used just three of them, they didn't have a sport lamp option, with the exception of the 68 xr7-g and it had a dedicated switch on the console.

BTW, i have most of what i need to make a complete factory style cruise control system for my car with the exception of that particular on/off switch in the dash. it's not a factory correct system but would actually be more like an original over the counter or dealer installed system. it's made up of all aftermarket parts but has the correct speed regulator, turn signal set switch (from a 69 lincoln), and speedo cables. the system i have was sold by B&M in the 70's/early 80's but is just a reboxed Speedostat system (division of Dana corp) the vacuum diaphragm is also correct but for a later model (early to mid 70's) ford product. the system will look pretty much correct for a dealer installed or over the counter system when i'm done with the exception of the vacuum diaphragm.

the vert top switch was standard on all 69/70 verts.

Not true exactly, in 69' (not sure about 70') you could still get the manual top option. Very uncommon but available, I think we even have a user on the board that has this as I remember him having a broken hold down that was once fixed poorly and not available repro. The 68' was close enough to mod the connecting bracket though.