Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foothilltom

Cutting holes in hood for scoop lights

Hey guys, can anybody provide a picture of the type/size of holes I need to cut into my replacement hood for the scoop lights? My guess is to cut in two "ovals" just like the underside of the hood has, but I'd prefer to cut in just as much as is necessary/standard to accommodate the lights.

Any actual pictures of a stock hood with a scoop or a good job of modifying would be highly appreciated. And, if anybody would like to comment, I'd be curious to know what tools were used. My guess right now is a small saw/grinder, but am wondering if jig-saw would be best considering the oval shape on the under-side.

Thanks!

Tom

This may not be the best picture (and the car is a total POS :whistling: ) but it is a factory orignal hood on a car that came with the scoop and lights so I know the holes are correct. They not only appear oval but look a tad larger than the ones on the underside of the hood to me.

If you don't have the scoop and the lights already then I would not recommend cutting it until you do just in case.

I would almost suggest that each end of the oval be cut out with a proper size hole saw and then trim the center out with a jig saw so the radius ends are clean and uniform.

69_stang_my_car_5.jpg

wow that's some nice POS you posted there Pak, looks like the guy has a really nice car under all that body shop dust.....oh wait that's my car under all that body shop dust.:tongue_smilie:

actually the holes for the lights are the same size top and bottom. i'd recommend using a hole saw on the ends as well with an air saw or a jig saw with a very fine metal cutting blade to finish the job. then hit the edges with a file. don't forget to tape over the are to be cut before you start cutting, especially if you have a nice paint job already, otherwise it could casue the paint to flake off.

HI

Since we are on the subject of scoop the wiring for the flashers on the scoop does it run inside the main harness, that comes out of the firewall or run along the main harness any pics of how this harness is on the car.I bought a harness but now got to figure out how to route it the original way---thanks

When I get home, I'll snap a pic of my wiring -- assuming it's stock. Oddly, the hood I replaced was clearly "hand cut" and not well at that, hence my question earlier. The hood must have been replaced during its life, but is now damaged in the front.

I am hoping to do a better job cutting in the holes on my replacement hood, thanks to your comments here.

I'm reasonably sure this car originally had the hood scoop and the wiring is correct, so hopefully the picture will help you.

Ran upstairs and took these two pictures of my scoop lights:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff/photo#5145819808704743922

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff/photo#5145819812999711234

I can't swear this is stock wiring, but mine sure appears to be inside the main harness coming out of the firewall directly behind my (rusted) master cylinder.

My car looks like crap up close. :( More things to add to the list!

Tom

My harness is seperate, it comes out of the firewall behind the motor. Ill snap a pic for you.

I was looking at something diff. my wireing runs along the harness all the way to the front of the car. Im not sure if its factory or not.

the hood scoop wiring is a totally seperate harness from the main underhood harness, actually it's two harnesses. there is the short one with the bulb holders that goes to the scoop and that one connects to another harness that follws the main harness and connects down at the turn signals under the bumper, it basically connects into the harness between the left and right side of them