Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carguy960

My new driver

I found this on Ebay and had to buy it. 72 F100 it has a 351w 4 speed and 410 gears w/posi. could not pass it up. I think I like the rush when buying old cars.

It's going to look great pulling my 77 to the race track.

I need a seat, drop kit & 18's or larger wheels.

Any Idea's?

Color to paint it?

Tire size?

seats for 3?

What is the correct way to lower it?

I think I'm stuck in the past.:tongue_smilie:

good looking truck!!!!! i think i'd leave it white or if you feel you must repaint it something other than white these trucks look really nice in black, or silver looks good too. i don't think i'd put 18" wheels on it though, especially if you're going to be pulling a car with it. i wouldn't go any larger than 17" with a sport truck tire that still has some meat like a 275/60-17 same sixe as what was on the 1st gen Lightning's. if you were really wanting something different paint it up like a lightning with the lightning wheels and tires and install the lightning seats and console too. you could also add the lightning's EFI at some point later on down the road as well since it already has a 351w just like the lightning.

had i known it at the time i would have kept the original cam from the 351w that was in my great grannie's old 73 galaxie 500 (the engine is now in my stang) because that's the cam that ford used in the lightning, pretty weird huh? but it's absolutely true, check the part number on a lightning cam sometime and it'll catalog for a 73 galaxie 500 (and other big cars) 351w

Flip the shackles. A lot of Ford Truck places have raise/lower rear-spring shackles that either add or subtract 3" just by pointing the things up/down.

Obviously, you'll need shorter springs for the front.

Here is my 71 for inspirational purposes.

390ci, C6 automatic,Lightning wheels, 94 F-150 seats, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, Vintage air a/c, 4 wheel disk brakes. relocated gas tank and shaved the ugly spout behind the cab( you can see the door infront of the back wheel).

65dc.jpg

:biggrin: Thanks.

BTW IMO I wouldn't lower it. If you are going to tow your race car with it I would beef up the rear springs for sure. My truck is sitting on a cut to size F-250 frame. I'm sure your not going to go through all that hassle. but leave at the stock height and beef up the springs for towing.

And Another thing, if you can find a chrome Gauge cluster out of the same era Ford Dump truck, they screw right on, and look really sweet.

nice truck!!!! got any pis of the gauge bezel you mentioned? i'd love to see it, one of these days i'm going to get a truck of some sort for my DD again and i'd like to have an early pickup of some sort (mid 60's to early 70's ford or chevy) or a ranchero or el camino. right now i'm seriously leaning toward a 68-69 ranchero but i change my mind all the time.

Awesome truck, man! My buddy just got a '69 F-100, and has given me the bug. He let me borrow it the other weekend to do some yard hauling and I'm hooked. I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but there are SO MANY times when I need an open-bed pickup, and the Jeep just doesn't cut it...but the Jeep is paid for, so I hate to get rid of it and replace it with a late-model F-150 (I wouldn't settle for less). Wife said I could get an old work truck if I keep it at the back of the property and she doesn't have to look at it, lol.

:huh: Booger green???? Great... another clever name for Lime Gold. Now I have a booger green Mustang... Oh well. You car does look good though r4k.:clap: Scince we are on the subject of bumpsides, here is my 71 and yes it is green also (insert your funny green name here bnickle:tongue_smilie: ).

:huh: Booger green???? Great... another clever name for Lime Gold. Now I have a booger green Mustang... Oh well. You car does look good though r4k.:clap: Scince we are on the subject of bumpsides, here is my 71 and yes it is green also (insert your funny green name here bnickle:tongue_smilie: ).

sorry, i didn't come up with the booger green name. in fact i think it was 69grandecj that first used that term on here, IIRC. i don't mind the teal/aqua greens so much, in fact i've actually considered doing maybe gulfstream aqua on the coog since the original color is light aqua, it looks like baby blue to me but everyone says they think it looks green to them. i'll have to get the color code to make sure though, there were 2 really blue colors for the 69 cougars; the light aqua color and they did also have a light baby blue as well. this car is kind of an oddball since it's a factory two tone, the factory two tone cougars had the roof painted over the same area a vinyl top would be, mine has a white roof and it the interior is oddball as well. it has the interior with the woodgrain on the door panels and stuff but it doesn't have the decor seats which were comfort weave with a wide horizontal stripe at the top, basically it looked like a low back mach 1 seat but like i said mine has the standard seats in a decor interior along with the factory two tone and i think the main paint color is the baby blue that was offered but it wasn't available for the entire year. plus the fact that it has ac, power steering, automatic trans and manual drum brakes with a 351-2v windsor

Hehe, ya know, the boog....errrr, lime gold, actually grows on you. It's funny, I've found 67 Galaxie parts cars around here and had some parts shipped, and you'd think EVERY damn Galaxie in 67 was painted Lime Gold, lol.

I absolutely used to hate it, but after seeing one of the parts cars with a booger bottom and a white top, it looked REALLY good.

Not better than black though, lol.

As you can see, I've updated my sig again (chrome and bumpers are on it now). I'm now looking for a driver's side door before I rub her down and get her all shiny. That dent is beyond my bodywork and/or plastic repair skills, and it's really an eyesore now that she's black.

Wow, man, you got it up for sale! I recognized the picture from this thread, hehe.

Wow, man, you got it up for sale! I recognized the picture from this thread, hehe.

Yep. I wimped out and decided to send it down the road. I decided I should sell it and focus more on the Stang. To many projects and not enough time (or money).

No, it does not. Super cool truck, tho. All original with 68K miles--and drives like a low miler, too. 360 4 speed truck from south-eastern Oregon. I fill both tanks and close my eyes when I sign the gas receipt. It gets driven all over the place and can haul anything and everything I might want. There's something to be said for having a beater truck...I never worry about the stray shopping cart running into it in the Safeway parking lot, or having someone steal it, lol. It's never let me down--I love the old guy.

Yep. I wimped out and decided to send it down the road. I decided I should sell it and focus more on the Stang. To many projects and not enough time (or money).

I'm on the hunt for a truck, and yours showed up on my "F100s within 200 miles" search on Ebay, hehe.

Although, I have to admit now after looking up where you live, 200 miles is too much pain.

I'm hoping I didn't miss a beater right down the road from me, though. I shoulda jumped on it when I had the first instinct to.

I'm on the hunt for a truck, and yours showed up on my "F100s within 200 miles" search on Ebay, hehe.

Although, I have to admit now after looking up where you live, 200 miles is too much pain.

I'm hoping I didn't miss a beater right down the road from me, though. I shoulda jumped on it when I had the first instinct to.

Come on down and bring the ol Galaxy with you. I'll take it off your hands if you want a truck:shifty: .