Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ihateclowns

A/C Options

Who out there has put A/C into a factory non-A/C car? What company or components did you use? I have looked at Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air. Vintage Air is a pick your own type system while the Classic Auto Air is packaged as a "bolt on" (yeah, right) type system containing all the necessary parts. What else is out there?

Clowns!

:shifty:

Those are the two best known and likely best solutions you will find. I need to make a decision in that area as well I guess before I start putting the dash, etc back in since I am sure it will all have to come back out otherwise unless one goes with the under dash type unit. Neither are cheap for sure but should be worth it in the long run.

Surely someone else has done one of them here.. I'm really interested in comments and pics of the install myself.

-Stephen

well i cant help much, my car is an original a/c car but has a fuel injected motor....

i am going to run the compressor for the 1993 motor, a 1993 dryer, a 1969 mustang condensor, 1969 evaporator, and custom hoses, 1969 controlls.

only trick this way will be to get the new comperssor hooked up to the old controlls.

i am going to investigate 1993 controlls then the trick will be to get teh hot/cold hooked up and the defrost/ac/heat, etc. hooked up

good luck

I was planning on going with the Classic Auto Air when I lived out in San Diego but now that I’ll be in Texas, I’m looking at the vintage air set up. The only thing I have a problem with is the vintage air unit doesn't have a way to adapt to the stock control panel, Classic Auto Air does. There is also another company that does the controls but I can’t find the link. Classic Auto Air is likely the route I’ll go because I’ve dealt with them in the past doing research they were really helpful and easy to deal with. Every time I call vintage air, I just get a rude vibe.

My plan is this in a nutshell

Rip out the interior and insulate with lizard skin and dynamat

Install a factory lower a/c dash/vents

When I buy my new dash pad, buy an a/c pad.

Install an entire march accessory setup for a 351w

Run nice fasteners and fittings to match everything else.

Smooth the firewall where the old motor was.

Install the unit going through the factory vents (I already have them)

Add a larger radiator with duel electric fans

Get a factory ac dash control unit and hook it up to the evaporator to run everything.

Maybe a higher amp alternator to support the fans

I know my plans aren’t real time, hands on knowledge you’re seeking but I will be getting into the same project so I figured I’d share. As I do research, I’ll put up my info.

Good luck to you!

I have decided to go with Vintage Air for my 1969 Streetrod. I asked them about a "Perfect Fit" type system for the 69-70 cars and I was told they currently have two cars in their shop (a factory A/C car and a non-factory A/C car) that they are using as test mules to design complete kits around. R&D should last 3-9 months, with availability sometime next year. I can not wait that long, but it might be helpful for those of you who are planning a swap in the future!

Clowns!

:shifty:

I installed Vintage Air last year in my 69 coupe. Wish I had an engineered kit. Everything had to be modified and still don't quite have the correct pullies. Under the dash was the worst..just didn't seem to have room...esp. with a console.

I installed Vintage Air last year in my 69 coupe. Wish I had an engineered kit. Everything had to be modified and still don't quite have the correct pullies. Under the dash was the worst..just didn't seem to have room...esp. with a console.

that is bad ass! i just hope they make it work with the 69 controls. i will definately go with a set-up that is intended to bolt in. i want to limit the amount of holes and rigging going into this project.

good luck with which ever direction you decied to go.