Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkskinsfan

Very Basic 1969 fastback

Not sure which brand or size you have but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the piston arm, that happened to me once, it was just a crappy cast piece. I had been using it for most of the day and not really stopping between the tank refilling like I normally would and I guess it ran continuously for so long and got so hot it just broke and seized on me. Fortunately it was still under warranty and fixed for free but I take my time now and try to multi task in between until I can afford a bigger unit.

Not sure which brand or size you have but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the piston arm, that happened to me once, it was just a crappy cast piece. I had been using it for most of the day and not really stopping between the tank refilling like I normally would and I guess it ran continuously for so long and got so hot it just broke and seized on me. Fortunately it was still under warranty and fixed for free but I take my time now and try to multi task in between until I can afford a bigger unit.

It's a Craftsman. Got it from Sears. Small Unit. 15 gallons, 1.5 horse power. Good enough for spraying on Primer. It's four years old and until I began using it for the Mustang, it got very little use. Just used it mostly to inflate Rafts for the Swimming Pool and keeping the Tires at the proper level. Warranty expired two years ago. It only cost around $200 and if it costs too much to repair, I'll have to think about buying a new one. I'd get a bigger one this time around. At least 30 gallons and 5 horse power.

It's a Craftsman. Got it from Sears. Small Unit. 15 gallons, 1.5 horse power. Good enough for spraying on Primer. It's four years old and until I began using it for the Mustang, it got very little use. Just used it mostly to inflate Rafts for the Swimming Pool and keeping the Tires at the proper level. Warranty expired two years ago. It only cost around $200 and if it costs too much to repair, I'll have to think about buying a new one. I'd get a bigger one this time around. At least 30 gallons and 5 horse power.

Well at least you had it to start with, probably will be better off in the long run if it's too expensive to fix then. I always wanted an excuse to buy one and the car getting totaled was sure it. Mine is a 5.5hp 32 gallon set up that came with a pretty nice starter set of tools, got it all for just $235. While it won't get as much use after the car is finished I do find it handy now that I have one for many projects and feel that I already have outgrown it so make sure if you do get a new one that it is big enough for the future.

100_0100.sized.jpg

Well at least you had it to start with, probably will be better off in the long run if it's too expensive to fix then. I always wanted an excuse to buy one and the car getting totaled was sure it. Mine is a 5.5hp 32 gallon set up that came with a pretty nice starter set of tools, got it all for just $235. While it won't get as much use after the car is finished I do find it handy now that I have one for many projects and feel that I already have outgrown it so make sure if you do get a new one that it is big enough for the future.

100_0100.sized.jpg

Well as usual procrastination paid off for me. I was researching them for weeks and I learnt that Campbell Hausfield had been making the Husky brand for Home Depot. So I went to my local HD and looked around at the floor models and see what was actually available in the boxes on the floor and way in the back I came across an oddball box tucked away that didn't match any of the UPC codes on display, it was a little battered and looked like it had been opened. The sales clerk was baffled and when he scanned it it came up as a 4 year old discontinued promotional item from when Campbell first started making it for them, it was $64 less than the same compressor only that was on sale for $299. Everything was in the box still as you see in the pic so I snagged it. The associate was bullshit because he could have gotten it for even less with his discount. It was a very satisfying situation, I still can't believe my luck on it.

It's not the perfect compressor by any means, it's a single cylinder instead of dual and can't handle some of the continuous tools like sanders as actual working horsepower is only about 1.7 but it does go up to 150 psi which is way more than the 90 most items are maxed at and it has the encased motor which is nice as I always burn myslef. If I remeber correctly the tools alone were worth the asking price so I figured even if it was a disposable compressor after the car was finished than it was worth it.

Well as usual procrastination paid off for me. I was researching them for weeks and I learnt that Campbell Hausfield had been making the Husky brand for Home Depot. So I went to my local HD and looked around at the floor models and see what was actually available in the boxes on the floor and way in the back I came across an oddball box tucked away that didn't match any of the UPC codes on display, it was a little battered and looked like it had been opened. The sales clerk was baffled and when he scanned it it came up as a 4 year old discontinued promotional item from when Campbell first started making it for them, it was $64 less than the same compressor only that was on sale for $299. Everything was in the box still as you see in the pic so I snagged it. The associate was bullshit because he could have gotten it for even less with his discount. It was a very satisfying situation, I still can't believe my luck on it.

It's not the perfect compressor by any means, it's a single cylinder instead of dual and can't handle some of the continuous tools like sanders as actual working horsepower is only about 1.7 but it does go up to 150 psi which is way more than the 90 most items are maxed at and it has the encased motor which is nice as I always burn myslef. If I remeber correctly the tools alone were worth the asking price so I figured even if it was a disposable compressor after the car was finished than it was worth it.

Cool, but damn that would have been a cheap DIY fix. I almost always take something that is broke and open it up and peek around to see if anything seems obviously wrong. My motto is if it's already broke how much damage can I do.

Cool, but damn that would have been a cheap DIY fix. I almost always take something that is broke and open it up and peek around to see if anything seems obviously wrong. My motto is if it's already broke how much damage can I do.

I usually take a crack it stuff like this myself, Pak but I was so pissed that I just threw it in the back of my pickup and dropped it off at the repair shop. I'll know better next time.

I usually take a crack it stuff like this myself, Pak but I was so pissed that I just threw it in the back of my pickup and dropped it off at the repair shop. I'll know better next time.

LOL, been there myself a few times too. I've even broken it more and beyond repair by literally throwing it in as well. The important thing is that you are in business again fairly cheap.

LOL, been there myself a few times too. I've even broken it more and beyond repair by literally throwing it in as well. The important thing is that you are in business again fairly cheap.

I got the Epoxy Primer and Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer on the Body and to my surprise, everything looks pretty straight. A couple days of Block Sanding should find in any areas that need attention, then I'll be ready to spray a couple more coats of Surfacer on everything. Next I'm going to spray "Color" on the underside of the Hood and Trunk Lid, the Door Jambs and all of the areas that will be inaccessible when the car is back together, then reassembly can begin. ( I can't wait ) After it's all back together, one more "Final" Sanding and it'll be ready for "PAINT". I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but It's pretty excited getting this far along. Maybe I'll have done in time to take it for a spin or two before winter. Here are some pics.

I got the Epoxy Primer and Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer on the Body and to my surprise, everything looks pretty straight. A couple days of Block Sanding should find in any areas that need attention, then I'll be ready to spray a couple more coats of Surfacer on everything. Next I'm going to spray "Color" on the underside of the Hood and Trunk Lid, the Door Jambs and all of the areas that will be inaccessible when the car is back together, then reassembly can begin. ( I can't wait ) After it's all back together, one more "Final" Sanding and it'll be ready for "PAINT". I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but It's pretty excited getting this far along. Maybe I'll have done in time to take it for a spin or two before winter. Here are some pics.