Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rwcstang

wheel fitment question

hey everyone i have a question my friend just recently got a 69 coupe, and he is wondering if its possible to fit a set of 17x9 he wants to use the 10th aniversary cobra wheels of course using the bolt pattern conversion is it possible? and what tires would be recommended?

17x9's could work but there are gonna be some serious rubbing issues.. I have 17x8 Torq Thrust 2's on my Mach, and they rub when it's a full lock when i'm turning. I have 245/45 BFG's on there as of now. But Monday my KDW 2's will be put on and they are a size smaller, so hopefully that will stop the rubbing.

Rubbing is a function of tread width more than rim width. I have 235's on the front of mine, and it doesnt rub at all. I wouldnt go wider than that though.

It's also a function of backspace. It's a pretty delicate balance of tread width, rim size and backspace when stuffing the maximum amount of meat in the wheel wells. While you can go wider than 245 up front I think it makes turning to much of an effort even with a rack or power to go wider than that no matter how good it looks.

i am stuck with the same Quandry i would like to use the new Foose legend Chrome 17 inch wheel with 4.5 inch backspacing and i am wondering weather to buy a buy 235/45/17 or 245/45/17 Simply put because i don't want to roll my front fenders or have rubbing on a full turn---i have a tcp coilover if that changes anything----help

i am stuck with the same Quandry i would like to use the new Foose legend Chrome 17 inch wheel with 4.5 inch backspacing and i am wondering weather to buy a buy 235/45/17 or 245/45/17 Simply put because i don't want to roll my front fenders or have rubbing on a full turn---i have a tcp coilover if that changes anything----help

I had a 245/45/17 setup on mine and it rubbed at full lock or when i hit a big dip in the road.. the front fender kind cut into the tire over time. i fixed it with the 255/40 set-up i am runnin now.

Thanks for that info --but what is your backspacing and what are you using for the rear--resto-rod

and isn't 255 40 17 wider than 245 45 17 or is the height the problem not the width???

I had a 245/45/17 setup on mine and it rubbed at full lock or when i hit a big dip in the road.. the front fender kind cut into the tire over time. i fixed it with the 255/40 set-up i am runnin now.

It would be really cool if there were some pics posted with wheel tire combo sizes for all to see. Thanks.

I was going to make a suggestion (or maybe I already did), that we should do a Dodgestang-type data collection here (WITH PICTURES!) of suspension mod specs and wheel-tire sizes.

We have TONS of folks here with TONS of different set-ups, and I'm almost certain everybody already has a picture of their ride. One of my problems with the Dodgestang chart is, even knowing if the combo will fit, I'm not sure if I'd like it once I got them mounted.